Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Start of the Season

It's been really bleak and dark in my neck of the woods lately; full of sadness and general malady.  So I thought I would try to brighten it up just a little around here and decorate for Christmas.

-It's Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas

Well that began by hauling out all the boxes. I took half of my stuff up to Promises and STILL had about thirty trips up the steps to make.  Of course each box felt like it weighed seventy pounds, sounding frighteningly as if full of tiny shards. I tried to think back to last year when the kids surprised me and de-Santa Claused.  I was a little nervous but make the trips and revved up the sleigh anyway. I also called the elves.

-Deck the Halls

One thing I have learned is to allow the elves to do it how they want it.  I got out the general themes for different areas; whether snowmen, Santas, the village, the goofy things and  keep them together but where they go is up for grabs.  Somehow in my lil head, it keeps it from getting stale and the kids still want to help because it is their decision. Then of course while they sleep, my OCD takes over and I begin to fix. but I'm getting better. Yes, the meds are nice and help me get better. *she said no less than three times. ;)

-Oh Come All Ye Faithful

But then? The fun runs out. I need to get the outside done. I look and see no elves. Even the toddlers have decided that under blankets is where they should be. That's funny. I thought last year went pretty well.  Only one kid cried, and the silent treatment went on for about two days but was over by Sunday night. I summon said elves and we venture to the store with the sale items I want.

-What Child is This

I should have taken only one elf to the store.  With two I got :"You're touching me." "No I'm nooooot" and "You smell like butt" and "I'll tell Mom you stole it" of course while leaning on either side of the buggy with all my festive happy new toys inside: new snowmen lights, new decorations so I could make the small window wreaths, new candles... but I have this warm vicious wind of accusation, teasing and bad humor blowing my hair and my good will toward men (and elves) right out the window. Ho Ho -

"If you don't stop, RIGHT NOW I'm hauling you BOTH home and will devise such a punishment that you will wish you had been orphaned in a fire"

-I'll Have a Blue Christmas

We head home, mimicking "Silent Night"  and begin crafting; glue guns ready at the aim, tinsel, cranberries, drums, ribbon....you name it; I strung it together and made it. Then came the hanging of it and the plugging in. I was pleased overall with few blown bulbs and twinkles where they belonged. The windows look pretty especially after all the work we've had done on the house in the last months and then of course I stepped out to light up the yard; tiny snowmen with little hats, teeny birds on their shoulders waited patiently to pop out and light up my holiday nights. So I pulled them out, lined them up, stuck sticks up their butts and planted them in the ground, fished cords all over and waited much like Clark Griswold.

-Joy to the World

I had done it. I had succeeded. Christmas belonged to me and it would be wonderful. Enter Mother Nature. She decided to be a Scrooge and assault my Christmas miracle in the form of wind and rain.  The following morning, I stepped out to see my tiny new friends laying face down in the mud; dirty broken twig arms, limp lonely teeny birds, smudgy faces and soggy hats. Wreaths were crooked or spun, one was perched precariously atop my gutter.

-Mr. Grinch

But I waded in in my work clothes this bright chilly morning to save the tiny army of holiday cheer drowning in my flowerbed.  Like a festive M*A*S*H* unit, I used my glue gun to triage and save the group of Frostys.  I stepped back and admired my holiday Florence Nightengale-ish work. Proud of my efforts, I turned to leave, tripping on the bright orange electrical cord in my favorite black high-heeled boots.  I managed to fall to my knees but skidded in the mud aaaaall the way out to the walk dragging a wobbly chorus line of what looked like drunk, barely dressed snowballs throwing spears at my shins.

-Ave Maria

Dazed, I looked up wanting nothing more than dry clothes and an end to the holiday season.  I glared at the filthy smiling white globes. I wanted to burn their little "wood" arms or at least see them melt and quiver under a really bright bulb.  I tasted defeat but picked myself up, wiped off and silently replaced my mud battered buddies.  I changed my clothes got into my  car and drove to work.

I turned on the radio

-We Wish You a Merry Christmas

My Arse. And you can put THAT Away in a Manger.

;)

Not the best but it was cute to me. Made me smile which was difficult this weekend. I am glad to share it with you and happy you shared your time with me. It's nice to see you.  Thanks for stopping by.  I hope to hang out with you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lady with the Lantern

 When the fire gets low and the voices quiet, she always comes up.  The lady with the lantern.  Now the stories often vary: She lost her bab...