Sunday, December 12, 2010

Orange ya glad?

I love this time of year for many reasons; first and foremost: no bees. Secondly, the parties where I get to fuss over my friends and family and lastly: Clementine oranges.  They are the only oranges I eat and so once a year I bulk up enough to avoid scurvy and serious cold/flu symptoms.

Why share this trivial unimportant fact? Because it has brought a war into my life: all out war! And shut up because I KNOW who's in on it.....

For those of you who are joining us late; here's the skinny:

One day I packed my lunch and brought along my favorite fruit of this season: previously mentioned orange: so cute and small; lovely thin skinned; easy to peel and no seeds....ahhhh perfection. So I asked my husband if he wanted some. He said no but that was not the truth...he DID want my perfect produce.  I sighed dramatically and held it out to him.   I gave a remorseful sniff indicating the personal sacrifice about to be made if he took it.

"Nooooo. It's yours." he closed his eyes to shut out the dramatic display. I AM a vision when I wanna be.

I held it out again. "Go ahead." my voice cracked ever so slightly...Tiny Tim would have cowered before my generosity.

"No."
We are both on the brink of the burning nose snort/laugh but continued to speak.  However, I would take moments and hold the orange out to him, raising my eyebrows; sometimes even giving a small squeak.."Hmmm?"  He would shake his head.  He had to go down to the store so he left me...and my orange.  I placed it on his desk and went back to work. 

He returned and puttered around...placing the orange on my chair behind my desk. "How dare he?!" Does no good deed go unpunished? I found it when I had to make a phone call; almost sitting on it. "Very funny Mister Smarty-pants.." I muttered and plopped it into my briefcase and drove home at the end of my day. 

The next morning was chaotic and unfun.  I was frustrated and jacked up.  ( I had to have blood work done sooooo there ya go...My dreams were filled with vomitous visions of a lab where they would say things like: "Sure, we'll take some blood and it won't hurt.  But first we're gonna need to drain some fluid off your eye. Open wiiiiiide" BLAAAAH!" but I digress....ORANGES) So my morning was awful and Cheech needed me to cart some things around.  I snatched my keys and headed out to the truck but not before grabbing? Oh yeah baby...my orange. I pulled the stuff I needed and left my citrussy sphere in? His tool bag.  He uses the damn thing daily then I waited. I went to work and giggled all morning long. I couldn't WAIT...Most of the morning went by before I got the e-mail....the only words were :
GAME ON

My retort was simple: I know nothing of this thing about which you speak so gruffly, but if I DID? Bring it Big Daddy Cuz YOU SO LOSE!

I laughed all day but I was waiting for my just desserts. He did not disappoint.  Oh I know he's told most of you about it and I also know the ideas are REALLY circulating.  How? Well, because I've done it too and it now seems that the entire universe is playing "Where's Waldo" with my Clementine. I confess, this is becoming hilarious.

Saturday night was a melancholy night.  We ate with wonderful friends but it was a farewell party since one couple in the group must move to Europe.  There was a lot of laughter, story telling and a few tears. So anyway, it was time to cut the cake and make our toasts.  It was a beautiful cake and we all eyed it as if we'd been starved instead of stuffed all night long. I sat to the far end so I was last to be served.  Of course this lead to jokes of no dessert at all, having to lick the knife clean of cake boogies, etc...my host finally gets to my piece and runs out of forks.  NOW I am told I must eat it without ANY utensils; including digits.  He returns with my plate a fork and? Yep that DAMN orange smooshed into my dessert. 

Well you never HEARD such roaring and saw such back slapping...I laughed until I cried. 

So it is my turn. The ball is in my court. I have it planned actually, I have the next three planned.  This is gonna get GOOD.  If you have suggestions, I welcome them.  Please send them via e-mail to

gigglinginthedark@gmail.com

Thanks for playing along. I will keep you posted with pix and updates. Orange you glad you stopped by? I am. I always am.

Have a wonderful night and great start to the week.

6 comments:

  1. LOVE it!!! And, yes, I DO have a suggestion/idea...dare I say, a winner? Well, winner may be a bit of a stretch but it will certainly require some creative juices (pun intended--haha!) in the execution. :)

    You KNOW I love a good game. ;)

    MYF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send it along. War is Hell.

    myf

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys have WAYYYYY too much fun. No suggestions I am afraid, only a bit of advice that could only come from a food inspector: Remember, that thing is perishable, and if you wait too long, you will be able to find it using only your nose....

    Good Luck, we are all counting you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I forgot to add something then. Out of spite we eat the orange. That's ALL I need, next spring find what I think is a cherry in my suitcase or something... YUCK!

    Surely you can't be serious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am serious, and don't call me Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhhhh good times. GOOOOOD TIMES.

    ReplyDelete

The Lady with the Lantern

 When the fire gets low and the voices quiet, she always comes up.  The lady with the lantern.  Now the stories often vary: She lost her bab...