Sunday, February 13, 2011

What would I know...

As a mom of a teen, I am struggling with letting go, being a confidant, and remaining a parent.  This is no small task and no matter how hard I look, my manual just doesn't cover some of the topics we've been dealing with; although we have improved greatly when it comes to sock folding. Thanks Parent Manual!  You're the BEST!!

My daughter has always been a bit of a tomboy and I don't know where she got it. ;) But now she is just beginning to like guys and cross over into "tanity" (teen vanity) I've been reasonable: permitting certain outfits but not all, no makeup yet and as many of you know perfume lessons. Well, there was a guy she liked; a lot and she got all giggly when she talked about him. She blushed when he called her for homework help or to work on a project together.  But he wouldn't ask her out. So she stepped up to the plate; swung and missed. Let me tell you...the rain fell on "Casey at bat".She cried and sobbed. She stood and stared at the mirror wondering why she was so ugly and why he couldn't like her.  She was convinced she'd never find anyone as cute or nice or funny as this guy...

My famous words:

A guy worth your tears would never make you cry.

I tried to encourage her and comfort her.  I tried to tell her there would be others...lots of others. But she would hear none of it.  I reminded her how beautiful she was and that someone somewhere was admiring her and she didn't even know it.  I got the first "You just don't KNOOOOOW MOM!!!!...." and more tears. *sigh* I was at a loss.  I hate it when my kids hurt...especially like that.  I was only hurt like that once and the scar is still very fresh, even now. I believe it always will be and I would give anything to keep that kind of pain from their little hearts. I know that I will fail, but I would do it if I could. I'm sure you know what I mean.
So to start, I meant to dedicate a lovely song for my daughter but as I always say "Karma comes around." (I will post it anyway because I sing it loud and proud for my baby girl...minus the kissy part... Because she is nothing short of amazing to me. Nothing.)

 Anyhow, we went up north this weekend where she took out her frustration on the mountain.  She began to forget the boy who broke her heart, shattered her confidence and made her doubt herself.  She stood her ground, and conquered the snowy mammoth. She ripped it up and looked amazing. I get so excited watching her snow board.  She promises me she will teach me...maybe next year...( I really do plan to do it. You know that right? IF you know me you do.)  It was a pretty good day. She was tired and satisfied with what she had accomplished and even with her spills, she stood tall and ultimately succeeded.

"C'mon Doll, let's hit it" I said as Cheech and I collected the kids.  We waited a few minutes as Boo raced down toward us. He has no fear. Lord knows I carry enough for us all when it comes to that...heehee. I find myself twisting my body where I THINK he should go.  That will be fun when driving lessons are in order, don'tcha think?

"Uh...Hi." came a voice from behind us. 

My daughter turned around.  A guy stood there kind of toeing the snow and looking almost too intently at my daughter.  Cheech shifted his weight and I though I heard him flex under his coat.

"Hi." she said and looked back at me. I shrugged and smiled.

"Soooo you board?" he asked with his poles in his hand, removing his sunglasses.

"Yeah." she lifted her gear to confirm.

Cheech stepped forward. I pointed to our son as if he was on fire as he soared toward us. "LOOK!"

"I ski." he said and bobbed his head toward his boots.

"Cool." She smiled brightly.

Cheech's face twisted a bit, like he'd smelled something dirty. I nudged him and collected my boys.
Maddie looked at me. "What do I do?" she hissed with a joyous panic.

"Ask him if he skis here every weekend because we are here most of the time."

She quickly nodded and discovered he was not a regular.

"Okay..well, you do a great job. I think you're cool." He smiled at her.

My daughter melted the snow beneath her feet.  I shooed the boys toward the car.  Cheech only took about four steps and then stopped. Watching...like any great papa bear. The boy's friends came up and the conversation died. 

"I guess I gotta go..." he said quietly.

"Kay, I hope I see you again." she said sweetly and left him with his buddies elbowing and sniggering.
"Now what?" she whispered excitedly to me.

"Get his email? or his phone?"

"Oh yeah right...." and she turned back to talk to him. I walked ahead slowly and heard her muttering the information over and over so as not to forget it.

"What's going on?" Ben asked.

"NOTHING!" everyone replied and kept going.  The elephant somehow fit in the car and now had a name: JT.

My daughter reached through the seats on the way home and gently touched my shoulder.  'Thanks Mom."

"For what Doll?"

"For helping me." her teeth were so shiny I had to squint to deflect her smile.

"Sometimes, only sometimes Maddie....I DO know."

I squeezed her hand.

This is a quick one...there seems to be a great want for the computer...I believe JT is awaiting...

Thanks for stopping in. I hope you smiled with me. I thought it was sweet.
See you soon.

6 comments:

  1. And so the "fun" begins. . . Just focus on keeping Cheech in line and maybe it'll all turn out fine. :) Generations before us have survived raising teens. I think we're up to the challenge. If not we can just drink our way through these years. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh the ups and down of a teenager. I only thank God I do not have a girl. Instead, I have the boys that the parents of girls worry about. Thanks for sharing this great story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheech will do great. He always worries about his little girl and he has some of the best advice for her..who knew? What? Was he a boy or somethin?? :) Nahhhh...

    Surviving the challenge. Meet the NEW warriors. heehee and yes, I believe I WOULD like another but let's put grapefruit juice in it this time. It's early morning...breakfast of champions...and I'm just plain outta Wheaties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And WHAT is this? YOURS is the boy I must worry about? Ohhhhhh no. (I know that's not true if they are anything like their dad, it's not POSSIBLE.)

    These ups and downs are just so steep! Oh well, I've said it before: Parenthood is the best bipolar experience you can have.

    NO IT ISN'T
    Yeeees it iiiiiissss.

    Thanks you two for stopping in. It's so good to share with those who know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got to meet your beautiful daughter yesterday. She is truly beautiful inside and out!! I read your story with tears in my eyes, both hurting for her and dreading the future with my daughter!! I absorb your wisdom every time I visit your blog!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate it. Truly. This is the most awkward "dance" I've ever done; with my daughter. I feel like I succeed and fail within minutes of each other but know that in the end, when I let go, I've given her everything. I only hope it's enough.

    Thank you so much. I'm glad you came and even more glad you met her.

    ReplyDelete

The Lady with the Lantern

 When the fire gets low and the voices quiet, she always comes up.  The lady with the lantern.  Now the stories often vary: She lost her bab...