Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The introduction

I sized her up for the first time.  She was only a breath shorter than me.  Her brown hair had light streaks in it and these intense brown eyes that laughed and gave away every emotion she had inside. She was beautiful; my teenage daughter.  Thirteen. 


HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY GIRL...the words stuck in my throat for this was no longer true in her eyes.


MOOOOOM she rolled em and laughed.  In my hands were her breakfast (always served in bed on this day) and gifts.  She clapped happily as Ben drudged in rubbing his eye sleepily.  I handed him a plate as the dogs jumped and chuffed hungrily.


We laughed as we remembered her debut into this scary messed up world.


"It's time for school Doll. Let's get a move on." She got down and headed down the hall.
"Where you going?"


"I need something to wear." she zoomed right into my closet, plucked a sweater (I had intended to wear and hence laid out) made a fast pit stop to hijack some earrings and yawned sweetly on her way to the shower.


I watched this with mixed emotions:  sadness for I remember picking out her tiny work boots and cookie pants, dressing her and chugging her all around the dressing table,  but happiness that she was a lovely young lady; beautiful, fun and confident, elated that she wanted to wear my stuff.


As most of you know, we are crossing this line gently.  The talks we've had have been more adult than I ever anticipated.  Her knowledge of life has stunned me on many levels and I confess I have learned a lot:  I'm not always right, nor do I know everything. I've learned that she is an independent thinker and she loves doing her own thing.  She loves to laugh but struggles with others' pain.  She is nurturing and kind. I am proud of her.  I love who she is...becoming.


So we hauled her to the 76ers game and plugged her name into the jumbotron.  They brought her a bday pack and embarrassed her. Cheech and I clapped and laughed.  It's our last hurrah.  Well, until we put those nudie shots up at her wedding...oops! Did I type that out loud? :) C'mon...you know you love it (or have done it)

Driving home, I glanced back and saw her dozing.  I sized her up for the last time; my little girl.  I missed the pony tails and tiny shoes.  My lip quivered at not being able to have her monkey hug me; wrapping her chubby little legs around my hips.  I wondered what was in store for me from this "on the brink" woman quietly resting in my car. I hoped I could count the tears, both hers and mine on one hand...not too likely.  I prayed that the laughs were innumerable. I smiled waiting for the day that we crossed over and became friends aside from parent and child. I think I'm glad I met this girl.  She's rather amazing.

But that's until I bust her after curfew.

Hang on guys, we're in for a bumpy ride.

6 comments:

  1. It's a happy/scary/amazing time. Glad to hear she had such a nice birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really sums it up. I was so afraid with all that is going on she would have a "Sixteen Candles" moment; but it was nice.

    Thanks. MYF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful story. Happy Birthday M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you my friend. She's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I just caught a vision of that picture of her in that "itsy-bitsy..." bikini with her hair up in a pony for the first time. I think she was just over a year old...seems like a lifetime ago.

    Happy Birthday, Maddie Grace!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And it's the only one she'll ever have. ;)
    Amazing where the time goes isn't it? But then, weren't we really just kids ourselves?

    Thanks for stoppin in. Nice to see you.
    myf

    ReplyDelete

The Lady with the Lantern

 When the fire gets low and the voices quiet, she always comes up.  The lady with the lantern.  Now the stories often vary: She lost her bab...