Thursday, March 31, 2011

Postage Due

I usually see everything; even from the little bumble bee that helps me deliver the mail.  I see things I'm not supposed to.


Vrrrrooooom. Wheeeeeat. I go and stop; buzzing along watching lives twist and turn more than the roads I drive.  People think I just cram letters into little boxes but that couldn't be further from the truth.


Vrrooom. Wheeeat. 


Mrs. Moorman gets her Reader's Digest (It's going out of print so get em while they're hot!) and another notice (a FINAL one) about her overdue credit card.  Shame. Because I have another package from QVC for her; more pajama jeans.  LORD~ someone needs to realize one size does NOT fit all. She waves excitedly and scampers out to tell me what's in the box.  She clucks over the envelope and hustles back in.  Diamonique jewelry is buy three get one half off at 11:30 this morning...gotta move. She has tried to buy her happiness since her husband OD'd.  Poor soul.


Vrroom. Wheeeat.


Mr. Huff's.  He's gay according to the magazines that hide beneath the plain brown wrapper.  He pulls the shades back and watches suspiciously.  His dog hops up and down at the window sill.  I hate that dog.  It bit me once and so I maced it.  He tried to sue me, but he lost so now he has this worry that I'm (and everyone else in the neighborhood) out to get his dog.  Stupid thing.  It's one of those little fake dogs that usually just shakes and pees but there must be something about me and the bumble bee because man oh MAN can it run. Mr Huff just stands there and claps like a sissy..."SSSTOP Beebee! Come to Daddy..."


Vrrooom. Wheeeat.


I get to the Dullams.


 Shirley used to come out and give me the scoop on everyone.  I haven't seen her in days.  She's a beautiful lady, flirting with me sometimes and I lap it up like a kitten with milk.  Her laugh is infectious, her smile, beautiful. I'd love to love her.  Sometimes when I'm finished with work, I go and watch her live her life.  Mine is pretty dull except for the building going up behind my house.  I can only watch so many diggers in a day. But she waves to me, smiles, even brings dinner down.  "My guardian Angel?" she usually teases. She's unhappy though. Her husband is some big construction contractor in the city.  He is rumored to be less than honest.  Her husband is mean too and I know this because I hear him shouting awful things at her and some days I hear her cry.  On those days, she doesn't come down to see me.  Instead, I see her close her window shades to shut out the pain; or maybe keep it in.  She's a strong lady.  I've been missing her company both on the clock and off.


I thought it was odd he was cleaning out the garage late one night and shortly after that began to have lady friends over; sick actually.  Poor Shirley, she went away and he lived it up. She just wanted to be a good wife. She tried so hard and loved him so much. Her thanks was a bunch of floozies while she was out of town and fists when she was home? Oh and he watched me like a hawk.  I don't know why, because I never laid a hand oh his wonderful wife; certainly  not like he did. Sure I thought about what it'd be like to hold her and soothe the tears but I never did. I loved her from my bumble bee. I guess he just couldn't stand someone being nice to that pretty lady.  I didn't like him and so I didn't believe it when he told me she had gone to visit her mother.  Shirley's mother was dead.  She told me so herself.


I sat there in the bumble bee with a box; perishable. I sighed heavily. I couldn't leave it so I had to go to the door.  I rang the bell and knocked.  He pulled the curtain away to stare at me.  I felt cold inside.  My heart was pounding and my knees were weak.  He glared as I knocked again.  No answer.  I hollered for him, shouted for him even.
"C'mon Buddy! This is for you! Come and get it. I see you in there!"


 He stood stone still, grinned like he was the cat that ate the canary finally stepping away.  He never came to the door. and  I couldn't leave the box.  It was perishable, so I took it home and put it in my freezer.  I could always stop back later; just to check up on her. Maybe she was home now.  I didn't see any lady friends.


I sat down to dinner and ho hummed over my hungry man tin foil plate.  Hungry man. blech. I missed Shirley's meatloaf. I was seeing her face and hearing her laugh when I was shocked by an angry knock at my door.  The police were talking loudly and demanding to come in.   I wiped my hands and ushered them quickly inside.  Geez! What would the neighbors think?


They asked me about Shirley.  Boy was I glad.  I began to tell them what I suspected and how I had been watching out for her.  One of the cops asked if he could get a cup of water.  I told him to go ahead to the kitchen.  I continued to spew my story to the second officer.  I asked them to check on her because she hadn't been around, ya know?


Well the first one dropped his cup on the floor and hollered for the second.  Next thing I knew, there were guns drawn and the two guys were shouting at me to get my hands up where they could see them.  I din't understand until they push walked me into the kitchen.  The box,


It was on the table and open.  I threw up.  Shirley's hand and forearm were mangled and stuffed inside. I swiped my mouth and began to talk faster.  I told them about the husband and the ladies. I told em I watched Shirley at night and she hadnt' been around...  They were cuffing me and yelling some more; for back up? I don't know.  They raced me out to the car and as I was crammed into the back seat I saw her husband standing on the edge of my lawn.  He waved to me.  Then he whistled to the crew in the back of my yard and gave them the thumbs up. They stopped digging.  More police came and looked like army ants all over my yard; and behind. I saw them pull up a mannequin in Shirley's clothes.  It looked awful.


I think I'm in trouble.



i don't know about this one.  I think I may pull it and rework it.  I like the idea and the story but I wonder if needs flesh; too choppy in the thought process of the character.  Hmmm Well, it's here for now and I hope you get some enjoyment out of it while I mull it over.

I will sit and chat more soon.  Thank you for coming over. I've missed you.

2 comments:

  1. A good story Tess. I love the plot. Whatever you decide, do not give up on it, its too good an idea for that. Thanks for posting!

    Glad you are back, we have all missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted him to be simple but I'm afraid the story itself is too simple. Like we've discussed, it needs more interaction to convey his personality and maybe some more depth in order to see him in a clearer, purified form.

    Or maybe I need to stop thinking and keep it... simple?

    You know how I am when it comes to my writing.
    :)

    Thank you Smeds. I always appreciate your help, advice and support. You're da man, Mon.

    ReplyDelete

The Lady with the Lantern

 When the fire gets low and the voices quiet, she always comes up.  The lady with the lantern.  Now the stories often vary: She lost her bab...