Sunday, August 14, 2011


All fun things must come to an end.   As my vacation draws to a close, I'm sad to realize just how hard it is to leave here. We've had such a great time and enjoyed so much laughter, relaxing and sharing with some of the wonderful people in our lives.

 I accomplished many "pats on the back" including my White Chapel shortie that I REALLY like and a couple of others that I was pleasantly surprised by their nice turnout.  My biggest kudo was to ride the mountain on my bike.  Oh yes my Dears, I did it; all thanks to Cheech's encouragement.  It was sixteen miles of Hell but I stayed in the saddle and I finished it; more than once this week.  Having almost ended up as someone's hood ornament when I was younger, traffic is very frightening to me.  I would be content wobbling atop a trike fitted with a huge basket, red safety flag bouncing about while cruising up and down the driveway. ... Not really. But I am very scared when on the busier sections of my ride in NJ so when I started out with all the curves and blind hills I thought my heart would beat right up my chest and out my mouth, but it stayed and thumped so I continued on.  By the time I was finished, I had to do two things: convince my body I was not dead and remind my legs how to walk.  But it was SUCH a rush.  There is nothing like flying down that hill....
"Wheeeeeeee!" to almost poop yourself realizing you much climb that firetrucking hill in second gear while your feet make tiny circles, somehow you keep moving and then? You are rewarded with a curve, another hill and a semi tractor trailer barrelling at you head on. But I did it and I was queen of my mountain; proud and tall...for 5' 4". ;)

Everyone has had a blast; especially Winston.  He discovered a new and rewarding trick.  He realized that the pantry door can sneak open if not latched.  In fact, it is open about the width of a foot; WINSTON'S foot.  So once that is accomplished there is a magical stairway; right up the napkins, Starbuck's Frappuccino and the first two shelves to something that he has only recently discovered he loves; marshmallows and graham crackers.  They apparently rock his world more than  the dog cookies.  How do I know this? Well the empty bags and the lovely sweet breath that Wee man puffed all over me trying to tell me that Birdie did it.  Additionally, he has an affinity for messes, both making and cleaning up. I came back from a ride and found Birdie jumping and nipping which means one thing; she wants to show me what Winston has done. She is laughing her ass off because he is SO busted.  I went out and found Winston rummaging in the burn pile and focusing heartily on the empty bag of flour.  Although I share my "toddlers" affinity for cookie dough and cake batter, I DO make sure all ingredients have been added.  Winston missed the cake batter, but knew what went in it...and was determined to find some...in that damn bag... which he shredded all over the porch and well... you can see for yourselves.

*sigh*

All I could do was laugh at his long drawn face covered in poofy powder. Birdie was unimpressed with his punishment of picture taking, pointing and giggling.

So it was a success.  We had a ball.  We will travel home today.  I will catch up with you probably mid week.  After all, I have to hit the door running, get back in the swing and all those other cliches for back to the grind.

Yes, the price we pay for having fun.

Thank you for checking in on me. I appreciate it.

4 comments:

  1. Well, I share your sadness at leaving your vacation, but in a selfish way I am glad you are back, I miss our chats. I am so glad it was such a success. You all needed this break. See you soon my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. Thank you Love. I'm looking forward to those as well. I've missed them. It really was grand and I'll fill you in when we catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5'4" LOL you wish! Just cause your little girl is about that tall you seem to have grown...opps I guess you had your heals on. So glad you had a great time. You two and your family deserve more of those wonderful weeks. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much. I DID have my clicky shoes on. You know how important they are to me. Every little bit helps. heehee

    It was FAAABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete

The Lady with the Lantern

 When the fire gets low and the voices quiet, she always comes up.  The lady with the lantern.  Now the stories often vary: She lost her bab...