Sunday, April 1, 2012

Friends

"So I heard about the big bash" her voice was tight and too sweet. 
Lynne cocked her head and looked at her new friend; a little puzzled. 


"Yeah, I don't know everyone, but at least some. More than I did six months ago, so it will be nice. She's nice you know." She tilted her head back and encircled her coffee cup.


Sandra took too long a drink and smirked.  "Actually, I DO know and you are very wrong."


"Oh? She's always been so nice to me. It's been hard to get to know people, but she's gone out of her way..."


"Oh I'll just BET." Sandra rolled her eyes.  They flashed  bright green and she reached across the table gently patting the arm of her gal pal.  "I hate to tell tales, but this one is warranted.  I'd hate for you to get hurt or worse.  We are friends and I care about you." she pulled away and took another sip.  Twiddling her thumbs around the cup, she chose her words carefully for Lynne. These things were delicate.
"Well, she SEEMS concerned and kind, but you really should be careful of what you say and do around her. The person she shows is vastly different from the one she is."


It was Lynne's turn to raise her eyebrows and be surprised. "Really? I hadn't gotten that impression. Diana has always taken the time to make me feel comfortable.  This transition hasn't been easy. Why do you say that? I didn't even know you two knew each other."


Sandra snorted. "Doesn't mention me? Well I'm not surprised. We used to be good friends. Now? Not so much. She's a bitch." The last words were slow and filled with venom and they clicked from her lips.


"OH! Well, at least you hide your feelings well San. I can't see that. I'll say it again.  She's been nice to me.  I like her."


"Nice. Yes. I'd be very cautious of that. She is one of those back stabbing people who is kind as long as she needs something or perceives she can get something FROM you. Be very careful my friend." She watched Lynne struggle with this.  "I don't mean to poo poo the party or the possibility of a good time.  I'm sure you will have a ball.  But she won't be able to wait to talk about it and she WILL have lots to say; about everyone and everything. So just...." and she shrugged her shoulders and flipped a crooked sad smile.  "If you decide not to go, you can always give me a call.  We can go out and paint the town our OWN color. Whatever you decide I'm sure will be best."  and like the sun that slipped out from behind a cloud, Sandra changed the topic and shifted gears.


The conversation was now light and fun, moving on to a weekend that Lynne had proposed she and Sandra take up at her lake house.  Lynne preferred it this way.  She enjoyed the Sandy that listened and laughed about her moving to a new part of the country.  She loved how they giggled about the nuances of getting around town or experiencing the natives. She was excited about sharing her lake house with her new buddy but the strange conversation about Diana had her troubled.  She would have to ask Will when she got home.


"Did Sandy and Diana know each other?" she began shortly after coming home from her lunch date.  Will sighed and looked up from his book.  


"Ahhhh. I wondered when you would be privy to that." He un-propped his knees and opened his arms to welcome her next to him.  Lynne sat down and snuggled up, placing a light kiss on his mouth.  she was so happy that she'd come with him.  It was nerve wracking and frightening but when they were together, it all made sense and seemed right. 


"So? Dish up Baby." she squeezed his knee and sat back.


"Seems to me that they were thick as thieves at one time.  I don't know many of the details but I know that Sandy doesn't like her.  I believe the word "despises" is not inappropriate.  Diana has never uttered a single bad word.  I've even asked flat out.  she just smiles it off, pays Sandy some sort of compliment and moves on.  It's really weird."


Lynne looked at Will for a long moment. "That's all you've got? That's the big scoop? She pays Sandra a compliment and moves on? Whoa. I don't know how you kept it all hidden away in the depths of your heart for so long.  You are strong my dear. Strong."  and she smiled poking his side.  He raised his eyebrows and went back to his book.  She tucked her legs up underneath her and took her own from the table. The afternoon was lost to comfortable silence and cat naps.


She did not begin to get nervous until they were in the parking lot.  It crept under her clothes and prickled her skin.  she shivered in the warm afternoon sun.  


"You all right?" Will asked taking her hand.  


"Sure.  Nothing like being in a fish bowl." she sighed, trying to collect her nerves.


"It's fine.  She's the same woman you've met and enjoyed dinner with. Forget about rumors and what you don't know. You girls worry too much."


"And you guys couldn't care less." she huffed again and smoothed her dress.  


The restaurant was crowded.  They managed to make it back to the private room and began to mingle.  It wasn't long before her nerves had settled.  She found herself relaxed and enjoying the company of the the very scarlet letter about whom she had been warned.  Diana sought her out, hugged her warmly and seemed genuine with her words of "I'm really glad you came."  There was an easiness with her and the two women continued to share good times well into the night.  The laughter and wine flowed.


"So Di...tell me...." came a high pitched cackle.  The two almost friends turned to see another party goer, Joan swaying to the loud music.  "I notice that Sandy isn't here. What a shame that is.  You guys were friends right?"  Joan knew this but everyone knew that Joan suffered from diarrhea of the mouth and her infection commonly flared at parties, running rampant for days after.


Lynn instinctively stepped back from the comment and watched closely as Diana smiled.  "I couldn't agree more Joan. It IS a shame that Sandy isn't here.  She has the BEST sense of humor this side of the river.  She's a firecracker and so much fun to be around. I miss her. " She looked Joan in the eye and waited for more.


"What happened to you two? You were thick as thieves and now she can't wait to talk bad about you.  She says some awful things." Joan took a long drink and stared at her opponent over the top of her glass.


"Choices made." Diana said and turned back to Lynne.  "You look great in that color.  It really does a lot for your eyes.  You minx." they laughed.


Joan wasn't about to give up.  "Awww Diana, I've been meaning to ask. Have you had work done?  Your cleavage is FABULOUS." She cocked her hip and toyed with the bottom of her wine glass.


"No... I haven't Joan, but thanks for noticing." Lynne chuckled uncomfortably. "I figure I need to get them out and noticed before gravity sets in and I have to tuck them in my pants. Ohh and that reminds me, wasn't your birthday last week?" Diana turned, sipped from her cup and winked.  "I'll see you later Joanie. Love to the kids." and with that she turned and slowly made her way into the sea of other guests, leaving Joan alone with her own embarrassment and a softly smiling Lynne. Joan turned to glower at the new comer.


"What? Joan snapped, her smile looking nothing but snide and vicious.


"ummmm Happy Birthday?" Lynne shrugged and turned asking a passing waitress quickly where the ladies' room was.


Diana met her at the doorway.  "Hey. I'm sorry.  That was uncalled for, but I just don't like to be cornered like that.  I hope I didn't upset you. You're such a nice addition to this group.  I'd really like to be friends."


Lynne touched her arm and smiled warmly at the words. "I've always been fond of the dark side Lynne and me too. I'd like to be friends."


The two seemed to sigh collectively; a decision reached, an agreement so to speak.  Lynne ventured downstairs through the restaurant to the restroom.  


 While in the stall, she heard a couple of women come in.  They were laughing and cackling; really ripping it up. 


"She just stood there."


"Ohhhh no. Well, I don't like to talk out of class, but she seems to be socially....clumsy."


"She'll never fit in.  Do you even like her?"


"She's okay. Tedious but I tolerate her I guess."


"She's as much fun as a wet sock."


"No kidding but we need SOMEONE to laugh at. WITH I mean WITH!"
They giggled cruelly and snorted. 


 Lynne waited a minute making sure her shoes were free from toilet paper and her dress wasn't tucked into her Spanx. She opened the door and stepped out to see Sandra and Joan leaning on the sink clinking their wine glasses.  Sandra nearly choked seeing Lynn step out of the stall.


"Heyyyyy Lynnie! Nice to see you." Sandra smiled.  Her face drained of color."I was just sitting down to cocktails and saw Joan here. We're old friends you know."


Lynne stood at allowed their words to hang awkwardly in the air.


"Enjoying the party?" Joan stumbled.


"More now than before Ladies."


"I hope you didn't think we were talking about YOU ...." Sandra started.


"Me? Talk about me? Now why would you do that?  You said you were my friend; right after you were invited to my lake house. That would be ...mean. And after all San, you only want to look out for your friends, right?" 


Lynne stepped passed them and headed back to the party. she shook her head as she heard them begin to whisper before the door even closed.  She climbed the steps and smiled re-entering the party.  She looked through the crowd for her friend.

4 comments:

  1. Nice one my friend. Not a lot of danger in this plot, it just shows your versatility. And I love a happy ending!
    Thanks Tess, I have missed you here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. More danger than you know. Sadly, I was at a party fairly recently and was disappointed to learn that these kinds of games are still played. Oh well. It was her loss and I gave her a much happier ending than the one she chose. Trite? Perhaps, but you know, I like it.

    I was really kind of trying to give myself a little exercise in dialogue. It's been so long since I've written anything fun for myself, I need to remember how. :) I'm glad you came over and didn't abandon ship. I have truly missed being here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dry. You need to write every day you know, to keep from getting dry. It isn't a bad attempt, but the story is choppy and although you are conversational, nobody cares about these people. Nothing to hook them. Get back on the horse and ride Little Girl.

    Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you? Again, it was a personal study in dialogue. I thought it was all right. Not everything needs to be based on extreme emotion. I think sometimes it can be a good piece simply because you can relate. I guess you can't.

    No biggie. I'm still glad you came over Old Man. I think I've missed sparring with you too.

    ReplyDelete

The Lady with the Lantern

 When the fire gets low and the voices quiet, she always comes up.  The lady with the lantern.  Now the stories often vary: She lost her bab...