Monday, October 19, 2015

Set it Right

" Your problem is you just cain't shut up Missy.  You cain't or you won't and I don't reckon I know which is WORST!"

Josh smashed his fist on the table making his bowl of Cheerios shudder.  No one was very Cheerio this morning.  His mouth twisted in an angry sneer and he glared at the hunched woman lacing and unlacing her fingers around a cup of coffee.  Her hair hung sleepily across her rich brown eyes that batted back tears.  She pulled in a breath and sighed.  It seemed to deflate her a little more.  She was tired and simply wanted to go back to bed but she needed to see him off to work.  That was the new rule.

"Got nothin to add, Little Girl?  THAT'S a first." he gulped at his coffee, snickered and waited. "I asked you a question.  I expect an answer." his voice dropped and smoothed out.  Missy knew this was a warning.  She vehemently shook her head; causing a smirk to smear across his face.  He stretched out like a cat under the table; yawning widely.

"Gotta say, it's nice not to hear you whinin and complainin.  You just come down and sit with me while I eat my breakfast.  You see me off to work and then you do things in your day.  Do you DO things during the day Missy?  When I'm not here?"  He pulled himself back in from his stretch almost like spring loading himself for another attack if she made the wrong move.

She raised her head and made sure there was eye contact.  If he caught a glimpse of the seething hatred bubbling under the surface things could heat up again.  She didn't want that.  Josh had a "bit of a temper" she thought and contained her own smirk.  She nodded solemnly and motioned toward the tower of dishes in the sink, then pointed behind him where the laundry machines sat and mountains of dirty clothes peered cautiously around the corner.  She'd come such a long way from winning talent shows and beauty contests.  This was not the life she had envisioned for herself.

"Ah.  Well now, that will keep ya busy for a spell won't it?" and he looked around bobbing his head in approval.  "Now, I will be passin the store on my way home, is there stuff you need for supper?"  Josh cocked his head and waited.  His hands rubbing the surface of the table.  His fingers caught a rough spot and he picked absently at it with his fingernail.

Missy folded her hands and sat for a moment then, getting up, went without a word to the freezer and pulled some things, laying them out for inspection.  He glanced at them, frowned and looked at her.  "I'll be glad to get some chicken and corn on my way. I pass John's farm and I know he just brought in a bunch.  Tomato salad.  That kind with the cheese on top. oh and cake.  I want a cake for dessert; one of them chocolate and vanilla ones. Marble?"  He slouched and rubbed his belly in anticipation. "Yeah..  marble cake..." he smiled and yawned again.

She shrugged, taking her place back at the table.  She glanced at the clock praying it was nearly time for him to go.

He reached across the table and took her hand.  It was meant to be a gentle gesture, but she juked.
"Oh now Missy, don't be like that.  You know I wouldn't hurt you." He reached again.  She left her hand limp inside his and stared through him.

"Missy.  Be realistic.  When we met, it was fun.  Right?  Sneakin out, goin to all those parties?  You were sure a looker.  I loved havin you by my side.  I said I always wanted you there, remember?  Remember?"

She nodded. This was sickening.  She was so tired of hearing this she wanted to scream and claw his eyes out.  She wanted to ...

"But you changed Missy." he interrupted her fantasy.  "Nothing was good enough.  Not my job.  Not the house I bought for you.  Not the car we drove.  Not the clothes we wore..." he hung his head and drew a small heart on the table using a coffee spill.  "You began to hate everything; even me.  Do you hate me Missy?"  He looked up and searched her eyes.

She had to be careful.  She pushed a tiny smile across her lips and let just a couple of tears fall.  They weren't for him though.  They were for herself; for this life; for not getting away sooner.  He seemed to accept this tiny act as tenderness and caressed her hand.  She fought the bile marching up in her throat.  She blinked slowly and willed herself to hang on.  He scooted around the table to be directly in front of her.

"I'm glad you don't hate me.  I kin accept mad.  I know you're mad at me.  I got a little out of hand th'other night, I guess.  Maybe I went too far.  You just wouldn't stop Missy. I'm NOT stupid.  I'm not rich, but I won't be poor forever.  I got plans for us Missy.  I tried to tell you that, but you wouldn't listen.  You never do.  You jes keep talkin , squawkin, pissin and moanin.  You always got somethin mean and smart to shout over top of me.  You always put me down... You...pushed me...but we'll set it right. " he paused and caught his breath.  He brought her hand to his mouth and kissed it.  " I warned you. I was all but beggin you to shut up... you just wouldn't.  What else was I supposed to do? " His eyes pleaded for understanding; tearing slightly.  He kissed her hand again and she felt his drops of regret against her skin.  Her mouth pursed and she looked away feeling disgust and rage.  He reached for her cheek to stroke it but she reared back.  This broke the moment.  His eyes hardened and he caught her jaw between his thumb and other fingers in a quick sharp clamp.

"but we understand each other now Missy.  Don't we? Hmmm?" he shook her jaw a little and this caused her to mewl in pain.  Oh God the pain.  There was a fire in her mouth that sparked and raced through her body.  She scrambled away, falling from her chair to the floor.  He towered over her and glowered down.  She braced herself and stared at the floor tasting the fresh copper liquid filling her mouth and stared at the droplets plopping onto the floor in crimson splashes.

"Guess you'll be moppin today too Missy." he snorted.  He stepped passed her toward the sink to reach for paper toweling.  Missy scurried and pushed herself as tiny as she could into the corner.  He wet the towel and leaned over her; wiping gently at her mouth.  He frowned.

"Here.   HERE.  Don't move.  It's gonna tear.  MISSY!"  He grabbed her arm and dabbed at her face.   She wiggled like a piglet; squallin and thrashing in his arms.  At last, he let her go and threw the towel at her.
"Then YOU do it." he spat and stood.  "And git this all fixed.  I'll be home at four."  He stalked out, the door sighing heavily allowing the house to breathe at last.  The woman stood to begin her day which started with a hammer and a small bag of little glass spheres.

Missy dabbed her mouth and the stitches that held her lips together.  "Yes, Josh, you got a little out of hand that night.  You knocked me out and sewed my mouth shut.  You think I'm a bit miffed ..." she thought bitterly, finding herself acting where she could not speak; her gestures and body language exaggerated and sharp. She rummaged through the drawers for the scissors.  She would need them later when she cut the strings.  Then she set to work on the his favorite cake; marble.  That would set it all right.



Well hello there.  So sorry it's been such a long time. My life has been more than full; good and bad but full.  I guess we are all rowing that boat, aren't we?  I've missed you and am glad that you stopped by here for a moment or two.  This one is a little more dark.  My son announced that he thinks I am broken somewhere inside to be able to think of these things.  He also told me not to be mad when he sleeps with the light on.  hmmm I guess I won't show him the one I have ready for Beggar's Night.  Regardless, thank you for thinking of me.  I'll see you next week.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lady with the Lantern

 When the fire gets low and the voices quiet, she always comes up.  The lady with the lantern.  Now the stories often vary: She lost her bab...