Sunday, July 15, 2012

Along the Bridge

He waited impatiently at the edge of the path; pacing back and forth. Eric wished at the moment he'd never given up smoking. He was pretty sure he could kill one with a single drag. His stomach twisted and knotted itself with nervous energy. He raked his hair and tapped his foot, checking his watch. It seemed to shout the seconds as they ticked by: after eleven. The bridge was silent. He hated when she was late. It made him wonder if she wasn't going to come along this time. He smelled her perfume on the breeze and sighed, a quiet smile trickled across his mouth.  He'd want her to see her "wonderful Eric". He raked his hair again and smoothed his shirt.  A chill of excitement sent goose flesh dancing along hisskin. He couldn't wait to set eyes on his lovely, perfect, Alora. The sound of her name, even in his head, caused him to shiver and warm in anticipation.


Her voice was soft but it tickled his ears. "Hello Eric." He turned to see her toying with a berry branch; almost shy to approach.


His smile widened as his heart roared.  "My oh my. You are such a sight for these sore eyes." he breathed and gulped at the vision before him; her pale skin, flashing green eyes and pouty lips. Her lavender sweater clung lightly to her breasts, scooped low enough to hint at the flesh he wanted to taste.  Her jeans fit well over her thin hips and strong legs. He missed touching them; feeling them around his body. He fought the urge to run and scoop her up. "You look so pretty."


"I look as I always do." she said lightly and tugged a few leaves, letting them slip from her long fingers and flutter to the ground. She seemd mesmerized by them.  Returning to his face, she bit her lip playfully and exteded her hand. "Come and walk with me along the bridge?" She wiggled her hand.


"Can't we go along the river?" he pleaded. "We ALWAYS walk along the bridge."


Alora pretended not to hear and turned in the direction of the old stone structure. She wandered slowly to let him kick a few rocks, throw his tantrum and then rush to join her.  She held her hand out waiting.


"That's better Love." she smiled and swung their arms lightly in the cool night air.


"Alora..." he began.


"No Eric." She finished. Her voice was thin, almost watery. He was disappointed that she wouldn't speak of it. 


"Well, could I explain?"


"No. You cannot. What's done cannot be undone." she sighed a little sadly and traced his hand with her thumb.


"I love you." he said quietly.


"I loved you, too." and a soft remembering smile gave him hope.


"We could start again. I would be better to you. I wouldn't get mad or run around I would love you right this time. I know how. I've been without you for too long and I want to love you right. I swear I've changed." All his poetic words spilled out in a heated rush.


She giggled lightly. "You're being childish, Eric. Leopards don't change their spots, you know. Love me? You couldn't. You didn't. It's why you cheated on me."


"I'm sorry Alora..." 


"Only that you got caught Eric. I've had a long time to think about our relationship. It was always broken. i was just fool enough to believe I could fix you...it...ah...what's the difference? It's too late." She sniffed and wiped her cheeks.  


"If you are crying, you remember that it wasn't all bad." He quickly tossed in. "Remember when we used to come here? We didn't walk on the bridge. Alora, we went down along the side and we camped on that silly old blue blanket. Remember? We used to pack picnics and watch the stars come out. We used to sleep here. We've made love here Alora. It's STILL here."


"Not as it was.  I DO remember those things. I remember how I shook when you touched me. I remember how my mouth watered at the thought of your kiss. God, how I wanted you. Night after night."


His hand grasped a little tighter as he relived those memories too.  He breathed in her scent, stepping closer to her. She did not push him away.  He stepped in front of her and took her other hand.  His heart was pounding as he gazed into her gentle face. 


"Mistake. I let you go."


"You can certainly say that." she laughed bitterly


"Don't be mean Alora. It's ugly."


"And you would know. You were wrong.  You slept around, lied and then when I had had enough...you.... got .... mean. Ugly."  She waited


"But it's different now. I'm different."


"And so am I" she finished in a huff.


"Alora..."


"Eric, if you are going to whine about this again, I'm leaving.  Enjoy what I am willing to share with you, or get lost. I don't need you to come around and keep hurting me."


He reached for her face, feeling the coolness of her breath, the warmth of her skin under her clothes.  He missed her so very much. "Don't pull away from me Alora. I feel it still between us. Let me just..." and he leaned in to kiss her mouth. He remembered how warm and inviting she had been to his touch. He wanted to feel her push against him, wrap her arms around him and ask him to touch her. He wanted to relive any one of those nights they had gotten tangled up in the blue blanket; giggling, kissing, whispering. He craved the sweetness of her tongue and the intoxicating passion she could unleash. He wanted her to desire him, say his name in the shadows as he gently reaquainted himself to her. He longed to hear her say" yes."


Alora stood very still. Her lips were cold and unyielding. Her body did not move to meet his, nor did she close her eyes. She blinked almost as if she didn't understand what he was doing


"Eric?"


"Alora." he whispered in a husky voice.


"Eric." her tone was flat. He opened his eyes.


"Why can't we try again?"


"We are living in two different worlds. How can you stand there and tell me these sweet things? You love me, you miss me... Did you forget our last night together? Those photos of you and Janine? Did you forget, Eric, just how mean and ugly it got?" now there was a sting in her voice. Her eyes flashed with hurt and anger.


He lowered his head and winced. "I'm trying to make that all up. To save.. fix it."


"Save your breath and effort Eric. You can't save me." She wiped tears from her eyes and sniffed, turning and looking out over the dark shifting water. "You will never change."


He reached for her out of frustration. "Alora!" he barked and pulled at her shoulder.  She wiggled from him, yanking away. He only wanted the chance to prove he HAD changed. Every night, he wished that last night over. Every night he came and tried to fix it; pleading, explaining, begging for another chance.  Every night he watched her body slip from his angry hands over the rail where it broke against the rocks. Every night he lost her. She disappeared into the night; her lavender sweater ripped where the arms that hugged him had torn through cloth and flesh. Her full lips that laughed and said "I love you" stained crimson. Her hair that was like silk to his touch, matted and brittle. Her gemstone green eyes now always brimming with hurt, disappointed tears. The ghost of Alora disappeared under the sobbing, rushing water.


"I will change." he hissed through his own tears.  Dashing back to the car he, tugged the blanket from the back.  He raced to the bridge, stopping where Alora had fallen.  He glanced only for a moment into the deep dark sadness that hushed the night.  It beckoned him. Dared him. Eric clutched the musty blue cloth, leaned over the rail and closed his eyes.  There was no sound save for the gentle applause of wave over rocks.


He waited impatiently at the edge of the path, pacing back and forth.  He tapped his foot and raked his hair. He hated when she was late. It made him wonder if she wasn't coming. He felt the chill as she approached.  He smelled her perfume on the air. Her voice tickled his ear. 


"Hello Eric." 


He opened his arms and she went to him.  He kissed her mouth, relishing her body as it folded in to his arms.  He turned and took her hand, carrying the blue blanket across his other arm. They spoke of their forever as they strolled along the bridge.





3 comments:

  1. Not what I was thinking at all. I like it, but wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great one Tess. I was not sure how it would end, but I like the way you closed it. Sad, violent, and yet happy in its way. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was a little too simple, but I did like it. Thanks. I'm glad you stopped by. You're such good company.

    ReplyDelete

The Lady with the Lantern

 When the fire gets low and the voices quiet, she always comes up.  The lady with the lantern.  Now the stories often vary: She lost her bab...