Saturday, September 7, 2013

Picture perfect

I wipe the same spot on the table over and over-just waiting.  It's still early yet, only 5:15 but she will be along soon; as she always is; for our 6:30 date.  She takes the 403 from outside of town and at this time of day, it takes a little longer.  And it's going to rain today.  My darling looks so lovely in the rain.  Well, she just looks lovely; pretty like a picture with soft blond hair and laughing green eyes - no matter what the weather; she is perfect.  She makes me catch my breath, my Jeanne.  I wish she was mine.  But she belongs to someone else; Larry.  Larry isn't good enough.  He yells a lot and makes awful demands of my Jeanne.  I know sometimes she wears long sleeves and it's hot out.  Sunglasses on grey days.  I don't ask though.  I can't bear the thought of what the answer will be.  No one should be treated like that.  Not even a junkyard dog.

She comes here for supper after work.  That's how we met.  She complimented me on my pot pie.  I make it special for her on the first and third Thursdays; her favorite.  She can stay a little later on those days so I add in pecan pie. Another favorite.  And she wears blue.  MY favorite.  Seem silly?  Maybe to you, but when you're this in love, it makes perfect sense.  It wasn't at first sight- maybe second cup of coffee.  She noticed me ~ with my dirty apron and my sweaty hair from bustin my hump all day over the grille.  Someone as beautiful as her... made me feel like somebody new; special.  I look in to her eyes and drown.  I hear her giggle and feel drunk. To think of holding her, kissing her; just once? I think I'd lose my mind in happiness.  
So every day we meet here.   Been doing it for a long time 462 days.  We make plans to run away; to Georgia ~ Savannah.  Yep, we'll each take one bag and get on a bus and never look back

She's had to stay because of Larry. More so because of Nate, her son.  So we just sit together.  Hold hands across the table, listen to the music and laugh about our life together, our future.  At last, with Nate being older, she will let go.  She's gonna come with me.  She can set it all up with her sister Nancy.  Nate will finish his last six months of school and she can be with me.

Oh ~ here comes the rain.  We need it, so I can't complain.  It smells so sweet and clean.  I can see her.  her bus.  Just a half a block a way.  She'll get down and raise her umbrella; red polka dots.  I bought it at Woolworth's last year when she got caught in a downpour.  She'll turn her collar to the cold and damp and begin her "trot".  She looks like a little girl when she does that.  I see her small limp and frown a little.  It came after Larry didn't get supper on time.  Now he throws her china and screams because he got in so much trouble. He seems to think that is okay.  That and the pulling on her arms or smacks... but I don't think so. And I KNOW she doesn't.  I think when we get to Georgia, I will make baths for her.  I'll bring her a glass of wine.  I'll tell her she's beautiful and I will leave a plate for her in the oven for whenever she wants it. She deserves to be spoiled.  

Jeanne steps off the curb. She sees me, smiles and raises her arms.  A bag.  She's carrying a bag. My heart skips around between my ribs; giggling and my butterflies in my belly smile.  My whole life is a few steps away.  Even in the early evening, she seems to glow.  I will be glad to get out of this dingy city. It gets so dark so early now.  The headlights from the cars spill by and  cast lving spotlights on my angel.  Every day she looks more beautiful. More mine. I'm so lucky.  I can't stop the smile on my face from spreading like ivy.  I wave back and go to the door.  I want to hold it for her.  I want to welcome her into my life. My arms. I hear my heart beating in my chest. My mouth is dry and my knees are weak. My Jeanne. My love. 

I don"t see it.  I hear it ~ an angry wailing of tires as the car roared around the corner.  "Toofast~toofast" I heard myself shout.  I begin through the door toward Jeanne.  But she is gone in a blurr of light.  I see her shoe, skittering along the pavement bloody with a broke heel.  What is coming toward me is a doll, cast off and flailing.  It's face is cracked and smeared.  My beautiful picture perfect Jeanne. Broken. There is a growl and a blinding flash as the car shifts its gaze to me.  This is all in a matter of seconds.  I see the driver. I know it is Larry. He's glaring hatefully at me and I understand that he's mashing the skinny pedal to the floor.  I have nowhere to hide. Jeanne collapses at my feet. My body instinctively lowers to meet/catch her. I want to help her.  I watch her sweet, gentle body fold obscenely under tires and hulking metal.  She is already dead. I close my eyes against the smell of warm pennies and angry gas.

There is a crunching noise and a scream; my last.  I feel metal biting, breaking my flesh and bones.  I stretch to reach for her fingers-she had them painted for our trip. Blue. Light blue. Now they are shattered and smeared with street dirt. Darkness and the heavy thunk of my body being destroyed are brief and intense.  A disappointed cold creeps up threatening to pull me away.  This is my new life. My work, my heart, our dreams, all crushed.

Softly I hear my name. I smell lavender. Her smell.  I open my eyes.  No pain.  She is leaning over me.  Her face is lovely. Smooth.  Picture perfect.

"My Love" she cries in a whisper. But there are no tears.

I can touch her cheek; her perfect mouth.  She leans in and kisses me for the first time but never the last.  

It's raining.  

There are lights and sirens but far away.  She stands and tugs at my hand, pulling me forward in to a warm new light; life.  I look back and sure enough, there we are; crumpled and bloody, our fingers just touching.  Larry is on his knees next to her laughing and crying.  

She pulls me again.

Into our new life.



Okay, this is a game: Name the song. It's an oldie. There are lots of references but it isn't exact... more like AFTER the fact...
I like this one. 
Have fun.

3 comments:

  1. Midnight Train to Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh where can my baby be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, you guys have been great! I have had some good ones: Somewhere They Can"t Find Me, Girl Let Me Love You, Last to Know, Stranger in My House, Mama's in the Graveyard, Papa's in the Pen, Cold as Ice, Ain't no Sunshine When She's Gone...

    all wonderful guesses and thanks guys for playing along. We've had some fun emails doing this. You guys are good sports.

    Me and Mrs. Jones.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

The Lady with the Lantern

 When the fire gets low and the voices quiet, she always comes up.  The lady with the lantern.  Now the stories often vary: She lost her bab...