Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Through the Open Window

It was one of those perfect summer nights where the wind whispered sweetly through the sun-yellowed shears in my room.  My tiny dragonfly wind chime named Evanroode sang softly to me in the velvety night or maybe he was warning me. It's too late now

I couldn't sleep. I don't know why but my mind just kept mulling things over; what dress I would wear to church in the morning, whether my brother would eat the last of the biscuits at dinner, would it be hot as Hell's kitchen again... all the important things.  I sighed warily and rolled to look out the window. I closed one eye and counted the stars.  In the distance I heard the train.  It was the 8:15 last out of  Channahon. That meant it was just after 11 PM. It moaned sadly for my sleeplessness.

"Tell me about it." I grumped and tossed under the sheet.  Closing my eyes tightly, grinding my teeth, I tried to force myself to relax. Ha.

"Come to us." came the whisper.  Inside my body a tingling began. My muscles were weak.  I thought I might have to get up and use the toilet.  Was I asleep? Dreaming? I flipped my pillow to the cool side and shuffled my legs to find the same on the mattress.

"Lindieeee....Come and see us." the voice was braided in the same sweet wind making Evanrude dance. I rubbed my eyes and sat up to see over the edge of my sill.  Far off I could see the hulk of the train gulping at the tracks as it rolled passed our town.  It was like a huge serpent.  I drew my knees up under my tee shirt, wrapped my arms around them and watched it snake along the wood.

"Come where? Where do you go?" I asked. "Who are you?" Now I felt drowsy almost cloudy like the night stretched out before me.

"Come Lindie." and the train slowed. The whistle whined and the creeping metal monster slumped to a stop.  I perked up immediately.  No train had stopped here since Joliet got it's big snooty stores.  We are all but forgotten here in Minooka; but not that night.  I heard the beast hiss and squinted peering around the steam cloud belching out underneath the mechanical stranger.

Evanroode rattled nervously now tinkling vehemently that I should be sleeping; a girl of only twelve. I sat a little longer, watching a parade of firefly flashlights dismount the train and traipse around in the dark.  I heard laughter; maybe just in my mind. And for the last time that night someone spoke to me through my open window. "We can't wait to meet you." and then I drifted, dreaming of clowns, a circus and the squealing delight of children.

The warm sun poked me awake. I was nervous and excited for my day. I couldn't wait to run across Old Man Gosemer's field to the station. I wanted to see what was going on and who our visitors were.  I just hoped they hadn't left already.  I shoveled in my breakfast and dressed in a rush.  My mother, Mary Jean was packing my papa's lunch for work.  My baby brother, Joseph was sulking over his cereal.

"I don't LIKE Apple Jacks. I'm JOE." and he defiantly crossed his arms.  He was seven and tougher than a box of nails.  I took the milk and dumped it in his bowl. "If you don't eat this right now? You'll have to eat it for lunch when it's all swollen and puffy. All the colors will run out into the milk and it will taste like the mud puddle at the end of our driveway."

"EWWWWW LINDIEEEEE You're so gross! MOOOOOOM...."

I got a sharp look from my folks. I could only grin and shrug. I took a spoon from the table and began to dig in his bowl. "Well I LOVE them..."

"Hey HEYYYY THOSE ARE MINE! MOOOOOOM !! LINDIE ATE MY BREAKFAST!"

"I thought you didn't like Apple Joes."

He paused. "Joes?"

"Sure Squirt~ It can't be a Jack when you're a Joe... They got the box wrong."

He stared at it. Then at his bowl.  I faked like I was swooping in for another bite but he blocked me.
"Hands off Sister!"

I moved away, pretending I was hurt. "I never had Apple Lindies. You get all the good stuff." and slipped toast in the toaster.

My mom smiled sideways.  "What's the agenda for today?"

"I want to go to the station.  A train stopped here last night."

"Here? No. Honey they all go on to Joliet now."

"No. Not last night. I saw it. I saw the lights and heard all sorts of commotion.  Maybe it's a royal prince looking for asylum! Or the Feds trying to hide someone really important...a criminal... or WORSE..."

"Slow down Nancy Drew. Let me call Mrs. Stowman and see what SHE knows. Then we'll see."  My mom was talking, wiping down my brother's face ~ don't ask me how he can be such a mess but he had sparkles of color from his cereal I swear up to his eyeballs. ~ and eat her own breakfast and then she reached for the phone.  She is amazing; like an octopus but prettier.  She snapped her fingers and drew a circle in the air.r.  She wanted me to clean up the dishes. I tsked with frustration and began to bang the dishes.  My father cleared his throat and looked over his glasses at me.  "Enough" is what that meant.

I hovered around my mother like a hornet on a pop can at a picnic.  At last she and Mrs. Stowman hung up.
"Well, I'll be ... Lindie, you were right.  Seems a group stopped here last night and are going to stay at Bryn MaGuire's for a few days before heading down to Braidwood. I guess they are entertainers."

"Lovely. A bunch of fruits." my dad huffed.

"Who's a fruit? Singing grapes? Like the underpants people? FRUIT OF THE LOOM IS HERE? I love the apple. I wonder if his hat is heavy. Think he'll let me wear it? Ooo did they bring the pear? Why isn't there a banana?" My brother was totally into it. We all  were biting our lips to stifle the giggling.

"No. Honey, sometimes entertainers can be ... unUSUAL."

"Fruity?"

"You betcha." my father laughed.

"Paul..." my mother crooned.

"Well, can I go see?" I was already in my sweater. It was going to be another warm one today but I didn't want to risk a thing so being prepared was key.

"MMMMmm..."my mom hesitated.  "I don't know..."

"Mrs. MaGuire's is just really close and I don't have to go IN or MEET them. I just want to SEE what they are doing...." My voice was high and tight. I was almost squealing.

"Alright alright ... but ..."

My shoulders sagged. I knew what was coming and so did my brother. "YES!" he clapped and began jumping up and down holding my hand. I thought he was going to shake my shoulder out of socket.

"Hurry up.I'm not waiting." and I rested my hand on the handle of the door, twisting the knob slowly....

"WAIT WAIT WAAAAIIIIT MOOOOOOM!"

"You better get it together team or NO ONE goes. And I have a LOT of laundry to do, dishes to wash, vacuuming...."

We glared at each other and left single file while pinching and smacking at each other.

"Have fun." was the echo from my parents.

The walk wouldn't have been too long had my brother not been whining and dragging his feet complaining of the heat every two seconds.  I finally threatened to leave him in the woods to be eaten by the bears or witches if he didn't shut up. Then he cried because he was scared we were going to be eaten so I gave him a sword from a magical beech tree that would slay even the cruelest witch or hungriest bear.  At last we made it.  I saw them sitting lazily on the porch of Mrs. Bryn MaGuire's Bed and Breakfast.

They were dressed in brilliant jeweled colors: the deepest purples, decadent blues, blood reds and pumpkin oranges.  There was a lot of clanking from all the big jewelry they wore.  They seemed bored already. I could understand that. There was nothing exciting about Minooka.  I leaned on the corner fence of Mrs. MaGuire's. One woman seemed to notice me right away and smiled.  Her mouth was really shiny and red.  My mom never wore lipstick like that. Whew. At least not THIS early in the morning.

"Hi." I heard but not out loud. In between my ears.  I looked around as if my brother had played a trick on me.

"No Lindie. Here. Up here.  I am Rina. I believe you and I spoke last night. Well a few of us did."

I felt my jaw fall open. I got sweaty and felt that sick feeling in my gut like I had the night before. I looked away embarrassed, frightened.

"It's okay Lindie. Don't be afraid. You can just think your answer or your questions. I can hear inside your mind."

"HOW-DO-YOU DO THAT?"

"Whoa... Don't shout Lindie. Just think regular. Like when you sit at your window at night. Just like we were using our voices." I saw her laugh a little.  I smiled too.  My brother was poking twigs into a nest of sidewalk ants.

"Who are you? My dad says you're a bunch of fruity entertainers."

I saw Rina frown a little but then she shrugged.  "That's because he's never seen us. We are very good at what we do Lindie."

"What is that exactly."

"Why don't you come to our show?"

"When?"

"Well, this afternoon. Bring your brother." Another one of them turned and smiled as she handed Rina a drink.

"Oh hi." she said to my head. "I'm Dehlia."

"I'm Lindie" I mouthed and pointed to myself.

She smiled sweetly. 'I know who you are Lindie."

"But how?"

"We came here to meet you. To show you something amazing."

'Well, THIS is pretty cool" I thought and swept between the porch and myself.  My brother blew on the ant nest.

"The show will start soon. We will see you over in the field." the women smiled and turned to the others.  Slowly, each looked at me.  They all nodded.  I felt funny. Almost tripping over Joe, I lifted him by his collar and dragged him up the street to the drug store for candy.  we waited until we heard the calliope before going over to the field behind the old school house.

I saw all the kids going over.  I was a little disappointed.  I thought I was special, but I guess everyone was invited to the show.

"Here Lindie. Come over this way..." I heard Rina again and began to search the crowd.  She waved and nodded for us to have a seat close to the front.  I felt a little better.  The lights dimmed and the rest of the kids got quiet. It was really dark.  Then I heard a squawking... suddenly there was a loud boom and a cloud of smoke and all these animals: parrots, a seal, a lizard of some sort, rabbits... everything! It was amazing.  The people my dad had called fruits were dressed as clowns and people from different lands like Egypt and Greece and Italy... I know because I have seen costumes like that in our history book. Oh we clapped and laughed and watched like zombies.  Then Joe began to cry.  He was afraid of the clowns.  He was really sobbing and pulling at me to take him home.

"It's almost over Joe...just... wait..."

"No Lindie... NOW I wanna go NOW..."

"Lindie, wait, the best part is coming." I heard Rina pleading with me.

I stood and grabbed Joe's hand angrily.  He was bolting for the door... well the tent flap and he was bawling like a lamb to slaughter.

"Oh come ON Joe... it's all in fun...." and Rina called me one last time.

"Lindie. The best part... come back in. Joe will calm down. He will be all right. Lindie..." and then there was nothing.

No laughter, no smell of popcorn or sawdust no "ooo's and ahhh's" just nothing. Joe and I stopped. I gripped his hand tighter.

"Lindie. Come back inside.  We are waiting for you."

"Lindie. Please please take me home. Lindie I am scared. Please Lindie"

"Lindie. come back to us. We want to show you something amazing." It was Dehlia this time.  She was peeking through the flap; grinning. Her mouth seemed wrong. It was too wide, too long like it took up half her face or she needed to unhook it to open and take a bite..." she crooked her finger and smiled at me.

I turned and ran. I dragged Joey behind me and just kept telling him to keep up and c'mon. Then there was a burning in my belly I picked up the pace. 

"Run Joey RUN." I could hear laughter in my ears ringing like a sour church bell. My chest was burning and my legs were screaming to stop but I didn't stop until we got to the house.  I slammed through the door and hollered for my mom.  She appeared in the doorway wiping her hands on her apron.

"What on EARTH?" she asked seeing Joe and me red-faced and panting. Sweat had stomped our hair to our foreheads and we had to be the color of dead snow; not grey not white.

"Mom ~ you won't believe what we saw..."

"Oh? At the circus?"

"CIRCUS?"

"Animals? clowns? all sorts of fun? Rina was just here telling me about it." and she stepped aside to reveal a guest in our home.

The woman stood next to my mom holding her teacup. Long fingers engulfed it as she cocked her head and smiled. "But you're home early Dear Lindie. Why is that? The other children are still there I'm certain."

"Why did you leave Lindie?" she prodded my mind.

"I--I--" I couldn't think. She was stirring up my thoughts.

"Well why don't you come with your parents tonight?"

"We can try again Lindie." and she stared right inside me.

"I don't want to." I shouted in my head and out my mouth.

"LINDIE! Don't be rude!" my mother scolded. "Miss Rina, thank you for your invitation. We would love to come."

"MOM!"

She flipped me a look that silenced me. I dropped Joey's hand and he drifted off down the hall. Rina didn't seem interested in him at all.

"Great. We'll see you later. I really must go get ready. We had a few mishaps today and so we'll need to perfect them for the grand finale.It will be unforgettable." and she giggled smiling over the top of her cup at me.

I waited until I saw her down the steps.  "I won't go Mom and neither should you. It's wrong. It's dangerous. They're..."

"Fruits." Joe said under his breath.

Mom stopped and laughed a little "Joe. Don't talk like that."

"Momma don't go. Clowns are bad. Animals look funny and the whole thing feels... rotten."

Mom stopped and looked at both of us. "No? No show tonight?"

"No."

"We'll see."

Supper was eaten in silence.  My father assumed we had screwed up during the day and had been punished. We cleaned the dishes when it was over and waited while they spoke in hushed tones.  I knew they were deciding on whether to go.  They came and told us we wouldn't have to go.

"But we are going with the Dearlys for a little while."

"Oh God NO"

"What's wrong with the Dearlys?"

"Well Mike is a little weird...ya know..."My father chimed in.

"STOP!" my mother play-slapped him.

Joe and I begged and cried for them to stay with us. We worked ourselves up so bad Joe threw up. I was sobbing and pulling at them. I threw myself against the door. I knelt and hugged their knees.

"Honestly Lindie. Stop this. Your dad and I will be back soon. We told you you don't have to go but we would like a night out without you. Believe it or not...we need that..." they smiled at each other.

They could not be stopped.  They waltzed out the door and headed for the carnival.

I cried. Told them I loved them and shut the door.  I rushed up the stairs and began to pack.  I told my brother to do the same.

"Why Lindie?"

"We gotta go Joey."

"Where?"

"Yes, Lindie. Where will you go?" the voice was sweet and curious.

"Shut up. Nowhere."

"Really? Not your grandma's house? You think the bus will take you there?"

"Shut UP. No."

"We'll find you Lindie. You are like us. You belong with us. Ohhh look. Your parents are here Lindie."

"Leave them alone." I warned.

"Want that?"

"Yes."

"then come to us Lindie. It's an even trade."

My heart hurt. My brain itched and I began to cry.

"Let me alone."

"Come here Lindie. You can save them. Save them all. Just come here to us. "

I went to Joe's room and hugged him.  He smelled like Oreos. "Love ya Squirt. See ya in a few."

"Where ya going Lindie?"

"Gonna go give it one more try with mom and dad."

"Bring em home Lindie. I'm really  scared."

"Don't be. I'll fix it." And I looked through the open window.  Evanroode swayed in the breeze but no jingle. His wings seemed to be waving good bye.

I walked across the field; my legs as heavy as anvils. My heart pounded in my throat and the tears that drenched my cheeks were hot with fear and anger.

I heard a lot of laughing from the tent that was surrounded by torches. At the corner, sat a large generator that lumbered and choked, sputtering gas fumes as it lit dim naked light bulbs inside the big top; throwing soft shadows at the canvas walls. The adults were standing with wine cups or beer and smiling as they spoke to all the "fruits" My dad slipped his arm around mom's waist, leaned in and kissed her cheek.  She smiled at him and leaned in to return it. Then the ringmaster clapped his hands and they fell silent.  He said the children had enjoyed the show so much they wanted to do something special for them all tonight.  I watched as one of the clowns pulled down the flap and stood in front of it.

The lights went out. There was a rustling and graveled whispers.  I moved closer,stepping over the knots of wires and reaching for the flap; slowly pulling it back. There was a startled scream and a series of shrieks.  My face was veiled by the smell of warm copper. My ears assaulted by the thick tearing of cloth and flesh. I heard my mother scream for my dad and I stepped inside.

The ghouls were devouring my town, my friends, my friends' families. There were pieces and chunks of bodies everywhere. The grass was squishy; gooey and red. My stomach lurched and I fell to my knees. I searched the darkness around the cries of the dying and heard my mother and father whimpering.  Rina and Dehlia sat with them.

"Welcome Lindie." they smiled. I shuddered at their dark pooling eyes and their gaping mouths filled with a few wide sharp teeth.  In between, shreds of skin dropped gluttonously leaving smears of blood along their chins and lips. They slurped at them like gory pasta. 

"Not them." I begged. "Please let them go."

They smiled and sniffed them as if they were fine wines. "But we're so hungry Lindie. "

I slammed my eyes shut and winced. Rina leaned forward and handed me something small and warm. 'Try it. It's... MaGuire Tartar..." and the two monsters reeled in laughter. She pushed it up to my nose, forcing it in to my mouth. I squirmed and looked away but the morsel was on my lips. I tasted blood and gagged. I lowered to all fours and threw up. My parents tried to comfort me but were restrained.  Around us, the town was dying; being ripped to shreds.

"Let them go." I said wiping my sleeve across my mouth. 

"It is a trade Lindie. You or them." and Dehlia traced a finger along my father's throat.

"Why me?"

"Because we spoke to you Lindie and you came."

"What will happen..."

The women laughed; their gnarled teeth still polluted with their meal.

My mother was in shock, shaking and clutching at my dad who couldn't take his eyes off me. "No Lindie. don't do this." he said.

Rina turned to him and gouged his cheek. "Be QUIET" she hissed and turning sweetly to me she raised her eyebrows.

"It's your choice."

"Why this town?"

"It was simply on the map and we needed to eat." she said in my head. 

"You do this all the time?"

"Only when we need to."

"And what do you do with the survivors?"

"There are none."

"So the town is dead whether I come with you or not?"
" Those who did not come will never know and those who did will not speak of it. Ever. Fear is powerful.  We will take you with us...as insurance."

"What will I eat?"

She smiled again.  We looked like we were talking though there was no sound.

"Let me walk them out. I want to know they made it."

She and Dehlia graciously let my parents up who immediately grabbed me and held me. The knot in my chest was hot and heavy; the tears were steady. 

"I love you." was all we could say to each other.

They held each other and began to stagger toward the woods; towards home. I turned to see Rina and Dehlia leaning on each other grinning with dark triumph. 

"Let me watch them go. I want to be sure you don't ... go against your word." I wiped my face. They shrugged and left me to my misery.  

"Don't think of running." they thought to me. "It won't work."

"I wouldn't dream of it." I sulked
Turning, I saw them go back to the feast.  There was little screaming or moaning now. I heard jowls smacking and the grunts of animals feeding. I saw my parents at the edge of the trees. I leaned against the canvas and the gennie, burning my leg. Pulling away with a hiss, it came to me that quickly ... before I had time to think about it.  It was my saving grace.

I plucked the torches near by and laid them at the base of the generator.  Then walked as calmly as I could over the dead, passed my "new family" to the other entrance.

There was only a little popping noise before the fire crept along the edge of the old canvas. The fiends were so frenzied, that by the time someone realized there was a fire, it was too late. The smoke was too thick and the confusion of the ghouls too great. They could not get out. 

Rina and Dehlia were shouting in my skull. Then they shrieking in pain. I watched the ghouls' own flesh bubble and peel away in the only thing hungrier than them; the flames of the fire licked that sickening patch of ground clean.

I ran screaming toward my mom and dad who heard the boom as the gennie blew. We carried each other sobbing all the way home; then to the hospital for treatment of my burns.

The papers told a horrific story of faulty wiring and old equipment that caused the deaths of forty people and the entire circus staff. The fire was so swift and hot that most bodies were unrecognizable. I was the lone survivor but declined interviews.

Rina was right. Fear is powerful.

And so I lie here in bandages; surrounded by balloons and get well cards.  They say I will be fine; only a few scars. My parents sleep here every night as does Joey.  It's stifling and hot being so late in the summer. One night, they opened the window for some air.

and I thought I heard my name on the breeze.




I know, it IS a long one and not one I liked editing in the middle of the night ~ I hope you had time to read it. I think it is pretty well rounded and comes along nicely.  It was tough for me to stick it out. As has been pointed out ... I tend to rush things and end too quickly. I think this one came to a maddening hault; like the crazy train pullin in to looney town. heehee. Well I hope it gave you a chill or seven. It did me.

Thanks for coming over to hang out. You're such good company.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lady with the Lantern

 When the fire gets low and the voices quiet, she always comes up.  The lady with the lantern.  Now the stories often vary: She lost her bab...