Saturday, February 1, 2014

Wow. Did you think I fell down? Sure feels like it to me.  I have missed you guys so much and of course I have missed this place; my cyber-sanctuary.

I do want to take this time to post my son's school essay.  I know I KNOW... no bragging but it truly struck a chord with me; on many levels. Sometimes I get so caught up in outside demands, expectations and crisis that I lose sight of the most important things; my family, my babies. They are independent in many ways, growing up faster than I'd like into people I want to know and enjoy on the best of friend-level, but this was a reminder that although I convince myself they are "just fine"... so I  can oil that squeakier wheel... they are reacting, needing and living a life that if I am not careful, I will miss out on.

I will be back with one of my own very soon and by the looks of things, will be back on track. Let's hope so. I really don't like being away from this so long. It's my therapy. ;) So I'd like you to meet my thirteen year old son, or at least a side of him.  Thank  you for all of your support, friendship and visits.


I dress in my suit and wait in the car. My handkerchief sits in my pocket, already used and stained with tears. My family piles into the car and we drive. How far, I have no idea just far. When we pull up to Zale’s funeral homes, my mother gives us an optimistic glance and we go inside.
 It smells like lilacs and rose petals. What an upbeat smell for such a downbeat place. I think.  We sign the guest book and take a look. There is only one other child in the room besides my sister and me and he looks to be around my age. He doesn’t have the tear stained cheeks that one might expect to see on a child. I know right away that he either isn’t very close or has done this before.
We decide to go up to the casket in pairs. My sister, dressed in a black dress and pumps, goes with my mother, also in a black dress with matching pumps. My father and I, both dressed in ironed oxford shirts and black slacks, go up to say our farewells together.
“I’ll mi-,” my voice catches in my throat and I whisper it a little louder, “I’ll miss you.”  We get up and I sit in a chair that smells like mothballs. A few people come up to us and say that they are sorry for our loss but I barely hear them. My mind is already flashing back to the good times I had spent with him, my go- to- way- to- stay- happy when a death occurs.
I think back to the 7 year-old me. I sat in my mother’s wheelie chair. The smell of Tylenol, Penicillin, and Ceftin waft throughout the room. The crunching and grinding of the pills being shoveled into the Medisures fills my ears. Suddenly, I hear the squeaking of the front door hinges and heavy footsteps in the hall. I peer around the door and see the wrinkled form of my Uncle Louie. He goes into his office which is diagonal from my mother’s, he come out, holding a pair of scissors and bellowing, “ Come here I am going to cut that hair!”
I shriek with laughter and hide behind the door. He comes in and mocks astonishment.
“Where did he go? He was right here a second ago!”
I giggle and he whirls around and slams the door. I huddle into the smallest ball I can make and he grabs a chunk of my hair. He brings the scissors close to the tuft and right when he is about to cut it he feigns the breaking of the scissors. I stand up with a triumphant smile on my face as he stalks out of the room muttering something about getting me next time.
I snap back to reality only when my sister elbows me as my grandmother hugs my limp form. I hug her back and feel her relax with the relief that her grandson wasn’t going into shock. The goodbyes don’t take long and my father and other pallbearers carry him to the hearse. The procession then moves towards St. Lawrence Church. When we get there I sit in the second to last pew.  I stare up at the asymmetrical ceilings and wonder, how many times has someone looked up and noticed this? How many times has someone stared at this imperfection in order to get away from the reason that they are here and notice the real beauty in this? They cover his casket in an American flag and a few people read their eulogies while the priest blesses him on his way to Heaven.
After the service, I really start to feel the effects of the funeral. I stay strong until I reach the car. There, I break down with cries of: “I’ll miss him” and “Why did he leave?” This goes on until we reach the graveyard. There, I pull myself together and stand against my mother for support. She pulls out three bouquets of flowers and gives two of them to her colleagues. They start to walk inside and the hearse drivers stops us,
“No flowers are allowed, please leave them here.” They reluctantly put them down and head inside.
We sit in the back once again and two fully dressed military officials take the flag off of his casket and fold it up while a soldier in uniform plays taps in the background. It is here, that my mother and her friends break down. I take the handkerchief from my breast pocket and give it to her. She takes it in her shaky hand and wipes her eyes. Although mascara smudges her eyelids, I don’t think that she notices and I pat her leg.
“It’ll be alright. Everything is going to be okay.”
We struggle through the burial and shake holy water onto his casket for safe passage through the afterlife. Finally, the saddest day of my life so far comes to an end around 12:00 noon. I take out the eulogy card that I had taken from the funeral home and read the back.
In loving Memory of
Louis Dominick Principato
Born October 10, 1929
Died December 3, 2013
Come to me
God saw you were getting tired
And a cure was not to be.
So he put his arms around you
And whispered, “Come to me”

With tearful eyes we watched you,
And saw you pass away.
Although we loved you dearly,
We could not make you stay.

A golden heart stopped beating,
Hardworking hands at rest.
God broke our hearts to prove to us,
He only takes the best.




1 comment:

  1. Wow... I may be biased but this is very impressive and follows quite closely in his mother's shadow. You both make me proud!

    ReplyDelete

The Lady with the Lantern

 When the fire gets low and the voices quiet, she always comes up.  The lady with the lantern.  Now the stories often vary: She lost her bab...