Friday, April 22, 2011

Fear from a car window

Did you guys LOVE the weather we had earlier this week or WHAT? I'm telling you (for those who are selfishly sending rain, wind and did you throw the snow in there just to be a smart ass? NIIIIICE) that it was a perfect day.  It was sunny and warm and it was simply happy outside. 

Of course that equals riding topless. I love my convertible although we aren't far from getting another.  I have my eye on something rather spectacular.  But we'll talk about that later.  Today? I jingled my keys and smiled as I headed out the office door.

"I'm gooooin toooopless....I'm gooooin toooopless" I sang to myself and headed for the car.  I snapped the handle, tossed my bags in carelessly, slipped into my "topless" shades and began to get in.  Nothing  could stop this exhilerating rush. I was quickly zooming into the "zone".  Too dom cool for my own good.

I saw it too late.  It was waiting. Lurking. Crouching to ruin all my joy. It's sole purpose was to fill my personal space with fear.  It was a frickin hornet.  It was perched along the stripping of my window.  Now the thing about that is, being a convertible, the window lowers a tiny bit when opening and then closes when the door is shut.  Go back and read that again.  Just humor me. The sight of this wretched beast caused a scream to form in my throat which dashed for my mouth.  I locked it in with my teeth while simultaneously closing my eyes in an attempt to will it away.  Failure.  I painstakingly crept into my car squinching and contorting myself so as not to disturb the venomous dragon.  By the time I actually got in to my seat, my upper lip, scalp and palms were soaked.  My back and butt were prickling as if I had been attacked by a heard of acupuncturists. With all my courage I rushed to count to three and yanked on the door so hard that when it latched it continued to sway. I prayed the window would go up in time.  It did. Kind of.  It snagged the hornet's leg and now his little foot or claw thing was bent.  He was mad.  He was mad at me.

So he began to attack the window.  He first zoomed to the front and bashed the windshield. Then he flew around the side and tried to barge in there.  I was afraid he would call his buds and they would find the vents.  I started the car with shaky hands and put it in drive.  I began to pull our and that little firetruck stayed with me. He flew NEXT to me until I got to the light (only about twenty five yards but still...) I swatted the glass and wrapped my knuckles.  I slammed the vents closed and held my breath.  I felt like those tarts in the slasher movies: 

 "Don't bother holding your breath Dearie.  He's right there!!! He can SEE you!!!  You're not HIDING from anyone!"

I was whisper screaming for him to leave; shoo, feck off.  But finally, I lost him.  So I pulled up to another light and did what I needed to do; drop the top.  Ha! Youuuuu didn't geeeet meee ...I resumed my coolness as I tooled down the road.  but I checked my rear view. Oh yes.  Because you just never know.

Silliness, I know but thank you for coming over.  I'm glad we got to spend a few minutes together.  I hope you smiled.  Giggling and pointing is so very important especially when it is rightfully directed at me.

Have a good day my friend.

2 comments:

  1. Tess, you know that I would never point and giggle at you, not even if a hornet is locked outside your car and terrorizing you. Well, ok, maybe then I would. But you also must know that I would shoo it away for you too.

    Thanks for sharing. A treat, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I appreciate that but to have it locked OUTSIDE and still be shrieking like a banshee?! Swatting and "Ewwww"-ing like a sissy? OH MY! You can do nothing BUT giggle and point.

    I'm such a scardycat.
    I'm glad you were here. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

The Lady with the Lantern

 When the fire gets low and the voices quiet, she always comes up.  The lady with the lantern.  Now the stories often vary: She lost her bab...