Monday, January 9, 2012

The Smallest Fans of James Taylor

I love James Taylor.  His music is some of my all time favorite. Having actually called out sick today, I crawled my sore, complaining body back to the softest warmest bed in the world and tuned in to my Pandora, JT channel. There was peace and tranquility in my viral, cootie-filled world.

The dogs were elated to have a chaperon for their day; meaning they enjoyed my soft bed too.  The three of us snored, kicked blankets and sighed the afternoon away.  Every once in a while they would get up, stretch and sniff my box of tissues perched next to my keyboard. I faded in and out of consciousness. At last feeling a pang of hunger, I fought the army of dog paws and pillows to meander to the kitchen for an indifferent glare at the fridge's contents.  Nothing appealed to me.  I plucked one of the few remaining Clementine oranges and hobbled up the steps, returning to my sanctuary. I was exhausted and weak, wanting only to take a nap after what felt like a double workout; even my teeth hurt.

I snuggled down under the blankets, begging (in a whiny, childish voice) for the pooches to "Share dammit!", giving that preemptive sigh. "Oh yeah. this is going to be the best nap ever." and without further delay we did.

Well, I did.

I woke to the soft scent of orange.  My body wasn't ready to get up just yet, but I found myself loudly rustling in my otherwise silent, soft sheets.  I peeked.

My piglet, Winston, had pawed the orange off the table and eaten it.  He smelled fabulous and the juice from the apparently delicious fruit still dribbled from his jowls.  Birdie sat quietly next to me fascinated with the "pop-up" technology of the tissue box.  It was almost empty.  I sat and watched her pull, tug and occasionally rip and sniff the new paper as it foofed from the little box, offering up another mysterious paper. I was surrounded by citrus and softness.

And in the background my man, JT sang "You've Got a Friend."

Today? I had two and ONLY because I am as sick as one of their kind, they got off the hook.
Tomorrow's JT selection will be "Steamroller"...for those in the know, so those two better watch out! ;)

2 comments:

  1. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

    I hope you are feeling better soon Tess. I am glad you got a day to rest and recoup, doggies notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. S'all good. They are great space heaters. I just need to remember they want to delegate the exact space to heat. And who knew tissues were so captivating? To quote Dr Seuss, "Funny things are
    Everywhere. "

    Thanks for the well wishes Love.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

The Lady with the Lantern

 When the fire gets low and the voices quiet, she always comes up.  The lady with the lantern.  Now the stories often vary: She lost her bab...