Sunday, July 7, 2013

Light em up

And so I hope that your Independence Day was great. I hope you thanked those who have fought and do fight to help us keep it.  I hope you enjoyed family and friends and ate too much;  needing or at least wanting soft super elastic stretchy pants... oh maybe that was just me... did I type that out loud? ;)

Well we did have a small party; some of my favorite people in my little world.  It has been so very long since we've been able to kick off our shoes, talk, vent and best of all laugh.  we sure took advantage of  a great day and did all that.  cheech shaved a ball diamond in to the grass and we had a kickball tournament adults vs kids. We smoked chickens and ribs and feasted like the grandest royals. I was spoiled with my friend's awesome biscotti and of course there was wine. I know, right? WHaaaa? hahaha... not too much though.  And why not? Because we had a fireworks extravaganza to set off.  My husband spent half the kids' college fund (not really...I don't think so anyway...lemme just check the balances again....) to have a blow out rivaling the town.  It was of course filled with ooo's and ahhh's and a fantastic finale.  We laughed and clapped.. it was great.

We were cleaning up when my daughter said "Hey mom...ummm... there's a fire in the grass." very simple. Very unalarmed.

"What? noooo..... our lawn?"

"ummm yeah... there IS a fire ..."

So I scoffed, flipped the dish towel over my shoulder and peeked out.  Sure as a bear makes messies in the woods, there was a small fire burning in the grass.   I calmly went in to the living room where our overnighters were snoozing from food comas (Cheech included) and said softly. "There is a fire."

He rolled back too sleepy eyes. "Who? Who's on fire?"

I smiled. He's so cute when he's confused. "No. A fire. Outside. Can you please help me?"

I was speaking very softly so as not to wake our guests. But the kids heard and stampeded to the windows trampling all reasonably comfortable adults. I'm telling you it looked like a heard of wildebeests raced through there. For a second I thought they might tip the house on its side.

"Where! WHEEEEERRRRE?"

I can only assume they thought it was something of a city on fire rather than the little flames that taunted us from the middle of our yard.

Cheech got up and took the fire extinguisher and a couple of cups of water.  Yes, well, that should have been fine except the extinguisher didn't fire. SOOOO we began a a small bucket brigade.  The kids were certain our house was about to be engulfed.

 "Should we move things out to the street? Should we bust out the windows so it doesn't explode? Where will we live? Will I have to go to a new school?"

"WHAT? ~ No ~ I have BONFIRES bigger than this. Hush and get another cup of water!"  It took four. FOUR cups of water. As our world was saved, everyone slapped each other on the back and headed to the house. Safe and sound.  BAck to your regularly scheduled food induced coma...remember the riiiibs... mmmm saucy....chicken.....saladssss....zzzzzzz

"Ummm Cheech?"

"Hmmm?"

"There's a fire."

"I know. We saved the day. Smokey would be proud."

"No I know,but there's ANOTHER fire."

"Don't tell me..."

"Okay."

And I waited.

He opened his eyes.  "You're still here."

"There's still fire."

"Do you think putting it out is a solution we could live with?"

"Maybe. Wanna come and try that with me?"

"Maybe. Or I could watch from here and see that you do it correctly.  Because I saved us the first time."

"Oh. Okay. Sure."

So I go out with the hose and put it out. Not a big deal. A couple of my overnighters woke and asked what I was doing.  "Just cleaning up.  More cookies?"

They groaned and passed out again.

I woke Cheech and had him come up to bed.

"Night Honey."

"Night. Love me?"

"Always."

"Would you bring a cup of water?"

"Ohhhh well, I would Sugar, but EARLIER, I was thirsty and when I went to get a glass of water, I looked out and I KNOW you won't believe it  BUUUUT we had a small blaze... remember? Oh maybe not. It was a second blaze.  Well anyhoo, I put that out with the cup of water I was going to DRINK and had to get ANOTHER one when I was done playing firechief.  Do you think getting it yourself would be a plan we could live with?"

"Smartass."

He loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lady with the Lantern

 When the fire gets low and the voices quiet, she always comes up.  The lady with the lantern.  Now the stories often vary: She lost her bab...