Thursday, July 21, 2011

Silence is golden

 As I'm sure you are aware, it is summer. For the last several weeks, my kids have decided that they despise each other and everything each of them does is 1) a crisis for my daughter 2) aggravating for my son.  They are hip high in sibling rivalry/battle ranging from :  You're touching me.  You looked at me. Your breath is near mine. 
To: You were adopted...maybe that's why you smell and Mom only keeps you around so you'll do dishes she doesn't want to.


I firetrucking love it. And do you know what is worse? I find myself getting sucked in...I really do.  I say stupid things like:"


 Nobody can look at anyone ever again" or 


"Hold your breath" and 


"That's not true. I make you do ALL the dishes." 


Then I read on page 115b of my parenting manual that "Silence is Golden."  I am learning to keep my big trap shut and let them beat the holy snot out of one another once in a while.  If someone gets knocked out, it only gives me that much more peace. In the end? It's all about me. ;)


When we signed my son up for camp, it was with rushed ink and happy smiles. I couldn't wait for a little peace in the house; a whole week without my Boo.  I was sick of the whining, the bawling, and the shouting.  ~I needed to stop and give my voice a break.  The day came when we took him over.  He was scared.  I was scared and my daughter was trying to reach the gas pedal from the back seat.  He was quiet and seemed oblivious to our presence or voices; a special trait usually displayed when I speak "mother", so we got him set up and took off.  My daughter was skipping through the woods to the car :"Tra-la-laaaa" and reveling in her "only child" status. I wiped tears from my eyes all the way home.  I hoped he would not be home sick.  I hoped more that I would not be son sick.


It was the best thing we could have done.  He had the time of his life.  He was given an honor award for all the extra help and "duties" he took on; one of ten in over one thousand scouts.   He came home; to my slight dismay, a little more grown up.  He carried himself differently.  He did things on his own instead of being asked ( seventy times or more in the language of "mother") or acting like he didn't know how or where to get started... The stories we were told, not just by him but by his counselors and other leaders; of his kindness and thoughtfulness; well they warmed my heart and reassured me he is a good man; even when I'm not around to remind him ( or maybe... BECAUSE).  We heard how he helped people, was patient, thorough and quick in all tasks asked of him.  It brought me to proud tears, a heavy sigh and a simple phrase:  WHY DON'T YOU DO THIS AT HOME?


It was wonderful to see him and his sister more than just coexisting. They laughed together, nicely spoke to each other and I was witness to it all.  But I sat quietly soaking it in and cherishing the friendship instead of the bantering.  Silence is golden.


We happened to be up north when my "new improved" man walked in.  I was bragging to some friends out on the porch about it.  "He's so different.  I love it.  I hope it lasts for more than a d..."


"JUST LEAVE ME ALONE! STOP TOUCHING ME"


"I'M NOT TOUCHING YOU~" 


"Ew! You smell. Did you forget to shower last week?"


"Smell? No way! That's your dragon breath!"


"MOOOOOOOM"


And so I was left no choice. I got up and fixed the problem.


Silence IS golden.
Duct tape is silver.



4 comments:

  1. What?!?! Teenagers acting like babies? I have never heard of such a thing. You do realize that the parenting manual was translated from Hungarian to Chinese to Martian to English, so things may be a bit scrambled. I am so happy your son had a successful summer camp. As a former scout leader, I know that it is the boy that determines if camp is successful or not. Obviously your son made it what it was for himself. He must be a wonderful young man. But then, he has a wonderful mother to inspire him.
    By the way, the bickering never ends. Sorry, but that is how it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silliness. Is THAT why my diagrams don't line up? I was wondering what the PEW Aluminum 396 space modulator had to do with it. Stupid martians. First they messed up Stonehenge, then the crop circles and now this.

    Oh and thanks for the spoiler alert. Never ends? *sigh* more ear plugs and duct tape please...

    Thanks for coming over. Nice to see you back. ;)
    Missed ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for that laugh. Sorry it was at your expense. We are just starting to get into that "fun" stuff now with the little two. I hear a lot of "I'm gonna tell." lately. And so it begins. At least they are still young enough to still like each other most of the time. On a different note, let's try to catch up this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I'm just relieved to know I'm not the only one out there experiencing these precious memories. It amazes me how they just go AT each other; teeth bared. I know I haven't seen anything yet so...we'll need to pour more frequently and laugh a little louder.

    Definitely! We are behind! I was just thinking of you last night! I'm around so we'll play tag.

    MYF

    ReplyDelete

The Lady with the Lantern

 When the fire gets low and the voices quiet, she always comes up.  The lady with the lantern.  Now the stories often vary: She lost her bab...