Sunday, July 31, 2011

Even with the fans going we wondered how we could ever WANT to smoke meat ... in Hell's kitchen.


We got there early and set up; being meticulous as to where things were and when they were due.  My turn-ins were at 9p and 9:30p for "Anything but" and "Dessert"; both first time categories for us.  I was REALLY nervous but I tucked that under my cowboy hat and opened my bacon. We prayed the sun would sleep early.  The kids made fast friends and seemed to forget the wavy hot air that broiled them.  Cheech and I got chimneys going, and I began prep work while he cracked a beer.


As we got comfy we realized I was missing an ingredient so Cheech decided to walk up to the convenience store (not Wawa...for those of you  "in the know") to get it.  I slid bacon into the smoker and began to work my magic. I hoped they would like my stuff.


"There is a storm coming." someone said.  I looked at the sky and saw it.  It didn't look too bad from where I was standing; in the middle of a parking lot surrounded by tall metal poles and big metal barrels.  The wind kicked up.  I flipped my bacon and cracked a beer.  Hell's kitchen was smelling rather inviting and tasty.  I decided I would stay.  ;)  Who can resist the ultimate meat candy? Really.   But just to be safe, we had filled ten gallon buckets and placed them at the four corners and rain flaps were hung, but I couldn't worry so much. I had to chop nuts for dessert.  I heard the rumble and called the kids in.  It's what we mother hens do; oh yeah and checked my bacon.  Ooo ! It was done so I pulled it off and puttered.  "Just a quick shower..." I tried to think, so hard my eyes watered.  I saw heavier clouds and darker skies; smelling rain above the pecan and apple woods and wondering if there could be a rain delay at a BBQ contest.  Lightening seemed to decisively vote "yes".  A chubby lil biscuit in a golf cart drove by and drawled:


"If y'all don feeyal safe? Thar ees a breek bildin....ova they-re...." vrooooom away she went like a speeding umpaloompa.  


I felt safe. I had my bacon and dessert. There are so few grand staples in life.
 But then then there was this wind.  I don't mean "Ahhhh I was hot and that is a fresh cool breeze. Thank you God." wind. I mean it crackled tree tops as it stomped across the sky, marching directly toward our little tent town to kick it apart. It began to snap and bend some tents, sending equipment scurrying across the lot for shelter; maybe the breek bildin.  Other tents looked like fair balloons as they meandered away or kites that were afraid and confused, just hopping from one gust to another.  And then Mother Nature opened her fire hydrant.  Sheets of rain poured on us, stinging our skin through our clothes and  causing us to gasp and spit in the blustery mess.  I felt the tent begin to shift.  I saw the table take a few skittish steps.  Cheech wasn't back yet and I didn't know what to grab first.  My portable kitchen began to puff and shake.  Decision made.  I grabbed one of the legs just as it began to run. The top pinched and pulled, the flaps beat angrily against the tables like a trapped bird and with one loud "Whoosh" they flipped tossing everything into the air .  My bacon took flight and resembled skinny bats.  The kids ducked and grabbed another corner but the tent kept marching, threatening to dump us all down the hill into the small creek that was rushing by in its own hurry to find better weather.  One of the guys from next door came out of nowhere and grabbed the other front post and at last I heard what I was waiting for "I'm here ..." Cheech made it back.  So we stood and we pushed back against the rain and wind.  We  whooped and hollered "Is that all you GOT?" and that nasty mess rolled right  over us.  With soaked clothes and pelted skin I asked if my mascara had run.  Then I began to sing "I can see clearly now the rain is goooooone...." We all laughed and began to reassemble; handing back pots pans and equipment that had doubted our fortitude.  Looking at the clock, I had just over an hour to get my entries ready.  I started to wash and rewash; beginning again.  I made it.  I got my stuff done.  The kids took a ride with Cheech along with some orders for towels and dry clothes from others near by.  Fires were re-lit.  Beers were cracked and there was an awful lot of toasting.


There was another cloudburst but nothing like the bad Mamajama that had run through earlier. We dusted ourselves off and kept going.  We were glad we did.  Cheech finished 9th in ribs and I was 11th in dessert.  For 47 teams, we were happy.  I was so proud of Cheech's work. We were missing a team mate and that was hard.  He should have been with us to share in it.  (We missed you Baby...)


So now that my feet are pruney in my shoes and I have a chill in this hundred degree heat, I will leave you with this ditty and plan on stopping back here with you soon.


Thanks so much for visiting.  We always have such fun when you do.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! I am proud of you. And not just because your food finished so good. I guess all that warrior training paid off when it came time to hold that tent down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! You should see me! I'm all beat to sin; bruises up and down my legs... Ouch! But I suppose there's a price to be paid for having fun...

    Thank you my Dear.

    hooyah...*wince*

    ReplyDelete

The Lady with the Lantern

 When the fire gets low and the voices quiet, she always comes up.  The lady with the lantern.  Now the stories often vary: She lost her bab...