Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Time In the Hair Salon

She wiggled impatiently, puffing the fluffy stray hair from her forehead.  Like whimsy feathers they giggled in the air.


"Sit still Doll." her mother said.


"Hurry Momma. I just don't think I can wait one more minute! I think I have to tinkle" for emphasis she shimmied;  her little arms twisting out to hug the air as if she were Carmen Miranda.  Her mother laughed and kept slipping rollers into her daughters flouncy blonde hair.


"Let's put these little ones up front.  They make you look so lovely..."


The two sat and played hair salon for most of the morning.  It was a much needed happy change from the regular hub-bub of chores and errands. Momma knew these days wouldn't last forever and true to form, it seemed like an afternoon was suddenly a teenager's prom.


"Hurry Momma! He's going to be here soon. Ohhhh why do you ALWAYS put those little ones up front! I want them in the back.  They make my hair look fuller.... Augh! Momma! I'm so nervous ... I have to pee."


"Sit still Doll.  And hold your water.  I'm hurrying.  You look so lovely when all those curls drape around your face..." she stopped and wiped the tears, unable to believe this beautiful girl was hers and growing all too quickly.  Her daughter patted her mother's hip. "Thank you Momma." and the lump in her throat swelled.  She watched helplessly as the younger woman expertly applied make up and lipstick.  She bit her lip stifling the words "Don't grow up! Let me be your Momma a little longer." which screamed from her soul.


"Curfew..." she choked.


"I know Momma.  Don't wait up." and she winked. Kissing her beautician wistfully she dashed down the steps to the young man holding flowers and his breath at the beauty racing toward him.  But even quicker were the days and summers when she educated herself, became decisive, strong and wonderful; grown up. Before Momma could beg time to slow down, she was once again using the rollers.


"Don't you dare!" she laughed.


"What?"


"I see them and you better just put them down. Do NOT put those little ones up front!"


"But you look so lovely..."


"Momma! I'll cut your hair while you sleep if you do it.  Are we late?"


"Sit still Doll. I'm hurrying.  You only get married once."


"That's the idea."


The two women, now friends, smiled at each other.  The room was filled with the love and excitement the proposal of "forever" brings. Her mother wiped her cheeks, dismissing the droplets that dampened them.  How quickly they had arrived here.  The respect and admiration for her daughter brimmed brightly in her eyes.  Her lips trembled as she kissed her daughter's head and whispered "I love you so much.  I'm proud of who you are."  The organ bellowed and they both jumped, rushing out the door and down the aisle.  It was a perfect fall wedding.  Time drifted like the leaves that floated to the ground.


"Momma.  You better stop it."


"I promise I won't make you look bad.  You look so lovely with the little ones..."  She mumbled it over the hairpins, little rollers in her hand.


There was a sigh.  Her daughter wasn't in the mood to spar.  It was understandable.  Her husband had come back from the war draped in the flag he had sworn to protect. Their forever had been cut short and as she looked at her child in the mirror she saw a little girl; frail, sad and alone.  It was never meant to be this way. She rubbed her shoulders and kissed her head. It was the most unfair thing she'd ever felt.  Such pain.


"You look lovely." she said.


"For no one." was the empty reply.


Her mother stepped in front of her and puffed the stray hair from her daughters sleepless, dark face.  She wished only for time to run passed them at lightning speed.  She hoped they could move on and remember how to be happy again.


Then time played a nasty trick in the hair salon.


"Sit still Doll."


"Ohhhh Hurry up.  I have to pee." impatiently, she wiggled in the chair puffing stray hair from her forehead.  Like whimsy feathers, they giggled up in the air.


"I'm moving as fast as I can." she sighed.


"Are those the little ones?"


"Yes."


"Put them up front."


"I know."


"My daughter used to hate that.  I did it just to make her mad."


The old woman sat tapping her feet on the tile floor and hummed a song quietly.  "Do you have children?"


"Yes Momma."


"Hmm?"


"Yes." she choked.  The pain of forgetting was searing her heart.  "Would you like to see a picture?"  She had done this forever it seemed.  The memory never came back. No recognition.  Just a smile of appreciation. Detached and heart breaking.


" My daughter has children.  About this age.  Oh they are lovely.  I bet they give those big yummy hugs don't they? My daughter doesn't come anymore.  She is too busy."


"Momma....I come every Wednesday." the tears fell hotly on her cheeks. She swiped at them angrily leaning over to kiss her mother's head.  The only hope was to wrap this woman in her arms and pray that the love she felt would be enough to bring her back.  She missed her friend, the advice, the laughter. She wrapped the lost woman in her arms.  Her mother allowed the hug but stared indifferently at the woman she didn't know she loved.


"This is a nice hair salon." she said.


"I'm glad you like it here." the woman smiled.




And a fine good evening to you. As you can see, I am on a roll.  I have a couple more to finish up but tomorrow is spa day so I will not see you.  I hope you have a wonderful day and we'll catch up soon.  I love  that we are spending a little more time together.

4 comments:

  1. Another nice story Tess. I enjoyed the trip through time. Keep up the good work!

    Hope we get to chat soon, miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Love. I miss you too. I like this one but it's a little choppy; not as smooth as I would have liked. It's still a good story.

    Sorry for the rain your way...dampens your creativity but soon you will grace us with your talent I hope. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too much flip flopping. Too far removed for anyone to give a shit about your characters. You are slipping Little girl. Bring the reader back by caring about your story. These are becoming small excerpts of nothing.I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you don't like it. I am NOT slipping Old Man. As we've talked about, there is a difference between skimpy and concise. I don't think it flipped too much. I thought it was a fairly smooth progression; not as smooth as I'd hoped but not as chopped as you imply. You do care Tex. You come and you read and you ... "advise" lol..yeah that's it. ADVISE.

    ReplyDelete

The Lady with the Lantern

 When the fire gets low and the voices quiet, she always comes up.  The lady with the lantern.  Now the stories often vary: She lost her bab...