Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sweet Water

I've never thought of myself as a beauty. Nope. In fact, I consider myself pretty...plain Jane.  I'm simple; my make up, my clothes, my philosophies are all simple.  In my mind, I prefer to call them "classic" heehee.

Cheech and I were out for a ride with some friends on the motorcycle.  It was a lovely ride that wound us back in the hills of Pennsylvania for more than two and a half hours.  What a great time! We were on our way home and decided to stop for gas.  The guys were filling up and my friend was just stretching her long legs and trying to realign her spine.  Cheech asked for a water. So I popped my helmet back and sauntered in.

I was the only one in the mini mart and NO IT WAS NOT A WAWA!!!! I just perused and collected what we needed.  I pulled my helmet off leaving my skull cap and ponytail with my sunglasses.  I smoothed my hair out of the way tugged the money from my jeans and paid the man.

"Long day?" he asked.

"No. Long ride; but it was really beautiful. I love it here." I smiled after I ran my tongue over my teeth; didn't want to have any stray "what nots" stuck in my choppers.

He flashed me a brilliant grin.
"You look tired."

A half laugh /half sigh escaped me.  I absently wiped  under my eyes thinking perhaps my make-up was on its way down my face to my knees.  Even a bumpkin like me knows Maybeline did NOT make Super Lash for the stray eyebrow hairs that crop up on my chin every here and there. Nor should my Cover Girl Cover All and certainly not in sage green eyeshadow.  It's just not ...sage. I tried my best to de-smudge my poor ole mug.
"Really, really tired."

"Well, sorry about that" I smiled a little thinner this time, trying not to seem too wounded. "I tried to freshen up before I came in. First impressions and all." I fluffed my hair a little trying to decide if he was going to be a wiener.

He looked me up and down then paused at my face.  His eyes studied me and then, he shrugged.  His mouth twisted sideways a little and his eyes crinkled up in a wince.  Apparently to gaze upon me caused pain.

"Yeah...I guess." and he did it again. "You look really tired. Long day." He looked at me sadly.

My lips curled into a thin line and felt tight, the corners of my angry smile were sharp enough to cut. I could almost hear my eyebrows furrowing together like angry little inch worms. I reached out and took the change.

"You single?" I chirped with a cock of my head.

His eyes brightened a little..."Well, yeah, I am." He looked down and up at me again, almost shyly. Awwwww so ....cute....

"Flirting like that, I can see why." I tossed dropping a single penny into the empty little change holder next to the register. "Keep trying though. I'll bet you'll get it." I sashayed out the door plucking the lid from the bottle and drinking heavily. It was some of the sweetest water I've ever had.


Well, another silly one.

I hope you all have had a wonderful holiday. We certainly have.  We laughed until it hurt; enjoying our neighbors and new friends as well as the crisp fall-like weather. I've loved wearing my jeans and sweaters.

I'm working on a couple of good ones.  Stay with me.  We'll have a ball.  Thank you for coming.  I love our time together.

6 comments:

  1. Awww Tess, you do not give yourself enough credit. Sounds like a great time you had. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noooo it really was a giggle and point moment that someone had...at me. Everyone gets their turn and to be honest, I'm sure I resembled Medusa after a prison break. I thought it was funny that he attempted to be kind. I think he was; at least.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You, young lady... You swing a big bat when a pitcher comes at you with high cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good times! Too funny! I can't imagine what he would have said if I went in with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. DB...you bet I did and I NAILED that pitcher. I may have had to sit down but in my mind I did NOT strike out.

    Thank you kind sir.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pebs...
    You're Hilary Swank good looks would have kept him shy and in the corner. If he'd have said anything at all, we'd have hog tied his arse and left him under the firetrucking pop machine!!

    heehee..wanna go again?

    ReplyDelete

The Lady with the Lantern

 When the fire gets low and the voices quiet, she always comes up.  The lady with the lantern.  Now the stories often vary: She lost her bab...