Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Great

"We can do this in the office."
"Great."
but then it came back..."ummm no we can't You'll need to go to the hospital."
"Great."
"It's a simple procedure."
"great."
That became three separate procedures and after reading up on the "big one"? Simple never crossed my mind.
But it needed to be done. So we said "Let's go".  We were thinking it would take place after our vacation
BZZZZZ wrong AGAIN Tess! "We have room for you in a week."
" Firetrucking GRRRREAT!". So I worried and I cried.

The hospital called and on three separate occasions, I gave phone interviews. They asked if I had a religious preference and a living will. I worried and cried some more. I paced a lot; making that little race track around my dining room table. (Not even Maximus could pull the nap back up. But he tried. I love him for that.)  They asked what if I knew what was going to happen on the day of surgery.  I described as politely as I could what I understood the procedures would be.  One of them involved a camera..."Would you like 8x10's or just some nice glossy wallets when we're finished in there?" she asked me.  I wanted the package with the bookmarks and charm pendants.  We laughed. Through the nervousness there was comfort in laughter.

Cheech drove me over and held me a lot. He made sure his face was the one I looked at while  my nurse and half the township installed my IV. Good GOD! I never knew they needed a back hoe to do that crap. I gritted my teeth and blinked back some more tears. Needles. Everywhere. They brought me blankets fresh out of the dryer and I was snuggly warm. And then we headed down the hall.  One thing that was cool was that sporadic ceiling tiles were tropical scenes and crystal blue skies.  I imagined my cruise coming up shortly. I closed my eyes and counted the bumps in the floor as we headed down to OR. Cheech kissed me and said "Ill see you soon" My safety net walked down the hall.  Couldn't he just hold my hand a little longer? Just until I was asleep? I wiped the tear and breathed in deep.

I met with my anesthesiologist and we discussed the wonderful drugs I would be given. He patted my hand and walked away. Despite the warm blanket, I was shivering.  I was trollied into a room filled with clanking metal, tables resembling medieval torture devices and beeping meters, and several people all wearing "party hats"

"Well here's our guest of honor." I could see her mask wiggling into a smile. I tried to smile back but I think I just squinted sweetly.  I saw my anesthesiologist again.  "ready?" he asked softly.

"I suppose so. I got all dressed up for this party..." and I heard the crinkling of the happy fun bag as it was piggybacked to my IV.  I waited for sleep to come.  It seemed like several minutes but I'm sure it wasn't.  I began to feel heavy and floaty.

and for those of you who know the importance of this phrase... I said "I'm gonna jus check on tha kids...."
Good night Sweet Rapunzel. 

I woke softly and remember (barely) counting bumps in the floor.  I saw pretty blue skies and wondered if I had slept through my vacation.  A gruff pain reassured me I had not.  I sat quietly, my head bobbing and I believe I was humming to myself.  I heard music but no one else was dancing...It's okay, it wasn't that great of a song.  I saw faces now not just eyes and white papery smears of masks.  They brought me more dryer blankets and we moved in to recovery.  They pulled the curtain around me and left me for a few.  I noticed the pattern on the drapes was like sea grass with bubbles on it.  I felt like I was in a glass of pop.  All fizzy.
Then Cheech came in.  I smiled and he kissed me. I was so doped up I probably pulled a Tommy Lee/Heather Locklear moment and licked his face.  He laughed at me in my foggy state and only now am I getting bits and pieces of the hilarity that is me on narcotics.  Intense conversations that begin but fade. Simple words that fall out without provocation...and of course giggling.

"I feel like I'm floating."
"I'll bet.  You act like it."
"In a glass of pop."
"mmmhmmm."
"Want some cookies?"
"No thank you."
"Lornaaaa DOOOOONES"
"yes I see. You have some in your hair and down your party dress here... How do you feel?"
"Grrrrreaaaaaat." hehehehehe

The ride home was uneventful for me. I missed about half of it and don't remember getting put up to bed.  Birdie refused to leave me but sat outside my door and when finally permitted in, laid at my side.  Winston? Well, he was more interested in Lorna Doone crumbs from my clothing but today, he is my buddy.

I'm sore and home today.  I thought I would take a moment and give you the skinny.  All is right in my world although I feel like a baby giraffe...all wobbly and gawky. Overall? It was for a good cause; a necessary one and the people around me both professional and family?  well, they were nothing short of

GREAT.

Thanks for all the positive thoughts, good laughs and ...well, just being you.  I appreciate it.
Let the giggling and pointing begin!

2 comments:

  1. I am sure I speak for all of your fans when I say how happy I am that everything went well. Only you can take something like surgery and make an entertaining story out of it. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you know how scared I was and I confess, Lorna Doones DO make life a little better; especially post-op.

    Thanks my friend. I appreciate it and am glad to be roaming about once again. You are great.

    ReplyDelete

The Lady with the Lantern

 When the fire gets low and the voices quiet, she always comes up.  The lady with the lantern.  Now the stories often vary: She lost her bab...